Audacity

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Audacity

Post by MattKingUSA »

Audacity is a great program. I actualy use an older build because the newest release plays back very very slow. Kind of strange. I've not been able to get reverb for it though. Anyone know of an easy way to add this effect in Audacity?
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

You'll want to do a search for LADSPA in your repository. Download anything that looks like a collection of plugins...there are several LADSPA reverb plugins that will show up automatically in Audacity once installed.
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

Thanks I will get that installed absolutely. Gracias
briwood
Established Member

Post by briwood »

I've been using Audacity for about 2 years and love it. One of my main uses is for transcription. I use the Change Tempo Without Changing the pitch effect a lot. I've discovered that you get better results if you convert your stero recording to mono before slowing it down.

Question: This weekend I was trying to figure out if there is any way to edit (remove) certain frequencies from a recording. Say I have a recording of a flute playing with bass and drums. My goal would be to remove the range of frequencies that the flute is playing in and isoloate the bass and drums. (If I ended up loosing some cymbals that overlap the flute freqs that would be ok.) Anyone know of a plugin that can do this? (I've read about removing vocals on the Audacity wiki. I'm thinking there must be a better way...)

Thanks for starting this forum!
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

I'm not sure about frequency isolation in Audacity...have you tried the remove noise function?
briwood
Established Member

Post by briwood »

nathan wrote:I'm not sure about frequency isolation in Audacity...have you tried the remove noise function?
Yeah - it doesn't let you specify a frequency AFAICT.
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

For this kind of functionality you may have to go the VST plugin/Ardour route.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

briwood wrote:I've been using Audacity for about 2 years and love it. One of my main uses is for transcription. I use the Change Tempo Without Changing the pitch effect a lot. I've discovered that you get better results if you convert your stero recording to mono before slowing it down.
Try Rezound for tempo switching, Im interested in your opinion and comparison with audacity!
raboof
Established Member

Re: Audacity

Post by raboof »

MattKingUSA wrote:Audacity is a great program. I actualy use an older build because the newest release plays back very very slow.
Which release are you referring to?

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/release-notes mentions recording in 'full duplex, mono' on linux with 1.2.6 might produce a distorted/low-pitched result, and suggests recording in stereo as a workaround.
MattKingUSA

Post by MattKingUSA »

Well this was on my old laptop that I was using. I was using release 1.2 or something. But now I am using the most current release which I believe is 1.3

But it works superbly on my tablet.

-Matt :D

Havoc
Established Member

Re: Audacity

Post by Havoc »

This weekend I was trying to figure out if there is any way to edit (remove) certain frequencies from a recording.
Isn't freqtweak usable for that?