seq24

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

laiis
Established Member

seq24

Post by laiis »

seq24 is my favorite sequencer. It might not have too many features, but i love it because it does everything I need in a simple, intuitive way.
I sync it to ardour when i want to record tracks as audio.
Dave Phillips has written a nice introduction, so i will shut up and give a link: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8304
studio32

Post by studio32 »

seq24 hasn't audio support is it?

How do you make music with midi without a notation editor?

How can you manage the duration of the different 'notes'?

Or are this two stupid questions, let me know ;)
laiis
Established Member

Post by laiis »

seq24 hasn't audio support is it?
don't exactly know what you mean with audio support. I guess I can say it hasn't, because 'all' it does is sending and/or recieving virtual MIDI.
There's no integrated support for e.g. plugins converting MIDI to Audio signals.
Of course you can connect your favorite synths/sample players to its output, managing connections either internally or via a patchbay like Qjackctl.
How do you make music with midi without a notation editor?
In seq24 notes can be entered using the mouse in a piano-roll editor - or can be recorded from incoming MIDI. There is no editor where actual score-style notes appear.
This might be more suited for repetitive 'electronic' music or live performance than for classic composition, the length of a single loop is limited to 64 bars.
How can you manage the duration of the different 'notes'?
Duration relative to the tempo (like 1/4, 1/32) can be set in the Pattern Editor and then adjusted by middle-click dragging the mouse. When recording incoming MIDI from your keyboard for instance, any MIDI message gets recorded the way you play it.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Ok, I'm gonna try to make a little song... but I think it is easier to make music using notes (score).....

From drums and bass I can imagine, this midi way of working is fine though...
laiis
Established Member

Post by laiis »

I guess scores are really powerful for writing music, but I do not (yet) read/write them fluently, so in my case I wouldn't call it easier using them.
I dislike entering notes by mouse in seq24. Usually I record from MIDI Keyboard which is highly intuitive and gives quick results. The same with MIDI-controller messages.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

laiis wrote:I guess scores are really powerful for writing music, but I do not (yet) read/write them fluently, so in my case I wouldn't call it easier using them.
I dislike entering notes by mouse in seq24. Usually I record from MIDI Keyboard which is highly intuitive and gives quick results. The same with MIDI-controller messages.
mmh yeah... I've to buy a midi keyboard or electric piano with a midi port someday....