Rosegarden, Yoshimi and Jack???

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dchurch24
Established Member

Rosegarden, Yoshimi and Jack???

Post by dchurch24 »

Hi again,

I'm trying to record Midi through Rosegarden. For some reason I can only use Channel 1 on my keyboard (Behringer UMX49); the 'Assign' button seems to do very little.
I've got the point where I have been able to record the drum sounds through Yoshimi, and play them back (no mean feat, the numbers of channels, jack ports and instruments seem more-or-less random - for e.g. I have to have midi_capture_9 linked to Hydrogen to get a metronome - 9??, and capture_5 to Yoshimi to play it back again, despite the drums being set to channel 1?).

I now have the drums recorded and looped, I now want to record another instrument. So far, I've had to change the channel to 2 for the drums in both Rosegarden and Yoshimi for it to play back.
I set a new instrument to channel 1.
I press keys, I hear instrument in channel 1 AND the drums in channel 2, or I can hear the drums playing through channel 2 in Yoshimi, but am recording nothing in Channel 1 in Rosegarden, despite being able to hear the sounds of Channel 1 from Yoshimi.

EDIT: I have recorded it, to better illustrate what's going on, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf1oCqD8aGU Be warned, you'll need a high res set up, the screen res is around 5500 across four monitors.
Capoeira
Established Member

Re: Rosegarden, Yoshimi and Jack???

Post by Capoeira »

read UMX-manual.

I don't know if I understood correct, but it seams the UMX is outputting on all channels.
Changing channels on UMX is not verry handy, but possible. while pressed assign, press global channel - than choose channel - than enter
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Hi, thanks for the reply (and sorry for the late one from me!).

I downloaded the manual, and you are quite correct, I was setting the channel wrong and it was out on all channels.

However, I still don't get the numbers in the Jack connection window, no matter what channel I set in Rosegarden, I have to drag a seemingly random number (that changes each time I open RG). For e.g. Last night I had to drag "Rosegarden MIDI_5" to the output before I could get channel 1 ou through Yoshimi.

It seems very illogical.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

dchurch24 wrote: It seems very illogical.
a midi-connection is just a conection of the device and the software - it's not devided in channels. The chanel you choose in software and keyboard
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Understood, but every time I want to either record/play from Rosegarden, I have about 10-20 'Rosegarden' items in the Jack connection window - sometimes in sequence and sometimes missing a couple. I was trying to find correlation between the numbers.

I have to drag them across and connect them one by one until I hear sound from a recording or see the data appear on the transport window.

If there were one Rosegarden midi-in and one midi-out I could understand it, but there are lots - and they change all the time.

Would I be better off learning QTractor instead? Does that do the same?
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

dchurch24 wrote:
If there were one Rosegarden midi-in and one midi-out I could understand it, but there are lots - and they change all the time.

Would I be better off learning QTractor instead? Does that do the same?
rosegarden always does this sh_t, I don't understand the logic either. If you don't like Rosegarden, go ehead and try another (QTractor, Seq24, NonSequencer)
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Ha ha - I actually quite like Rosegarden, things are where I can find them quite easily, and I like the layout, it;s just that weird sh_t with the Jack inputs. Oh well....

....look out QTractor, here I come ;-)