[SOLVED ;-) ] Myriad of problems....

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dchurch24
Established Member

Re: Myriad of problems....

Post by dchurch24 »

Wow! Thanks guys, I need some time to take this in!

My brother-in-law is hosting his radio show at the moment, when it finished it's time for bed, so I'll get back to it tomorrow ;-)

However, it shouldn't be the processor - there's two dual core AMD Opterons and 8 gb of ram. I'm hoping not in any case ;-)

However, I am running Compiz - maybe there's some kind of confict.
transmogrifox
Established Member

Post by transmogrifox »

FYI Convolotron set at a normal sample rate (say 48000) with IR length of 100ms will keep a dual core busy...and that's assuming both cores are being used as well as SSE optimizations and so on. At 200 points it will even crash a quad-core.
However, Reverbtron won't crash a dual core...it's quite a bit lighter weight than Convolotron with most presets.

I just can't think of anything else that would cause it to crash 4 seconds after starting than excessively high CPU usage...keep me up to date... also it is a good idea to compile from git if you are up for the time climbing the learning curve. In reality Rakarrack development version almost always has less bugs because we fix bugs as we hear about them :twisted: Besides, new toys and features are always being added. :mrgreen:
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Hmmmmm I should really make a script that syncs git and uploads Rakarrack to my PPA ;)
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

I couldn't get it to compile from git or cvs - some files are not found when I run the autogen script, I will post more detailed info later when I get to my machine, but it DID compile from the tarball on the sourceforge site - presumably this is the same version as the cvs/git repos?

EDIT - this is what I get back when running the autogen script:

Code: Select all

aclocal./autogen.sh: 36: aclocal: not found
 autoheader./autogen.sh: 37: autoheader: not found
 autoconf./autogen.sh: 38: autoconf: not found
 automake./autogen.sh: 39: automake: not found
PS. I REALLY appreciate this guys, and I really appreciate the incredible work that goes into these amazing tools - I'm a developer (Windoze - C#) myself in my day job, so I understand the trials and tribulations with taking on project this big.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

You probably need the automake package, is it installed? And if you'd like I could update the Rakarrack package for Karmic in my PPA.
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Actually, I'm quite intrigued to compile it myself, I'll have a go tonight (after installing the automake package); hopefully I won't need to trouble you to update the PPA.
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Well.....I think I built it. It seemed to compile.

However, it's now more unstable than it was.

I get this after a few seconds:

dave@ubuntustudio:~/Desktop/rak/rakarrack$ rakarrack 

rakarrack 0.5.8_Equinox - Copyright (c) Josep Andreu - Ryan Billing - Douglas McClendon - Arnout Engelen
Try 'rakarrack --help' for command-line options.
Enhanced3DNow! detected
SSE2 detected
cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority -4) [for thread -1397438192, from thread -1397438192] (22: Invalid argument)
X_GetImage: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 0x3e00008
NB: I get the above line about 100 times.
Then, after about 4-5 seconds (before I compiled from source, it may have been up to a minute) I get the following:

cannot read server event (Connection reset by peer)
zombified - calling shutdown handler
X I/O error
I just had 'top' running, and could see Rakarrack using 36% processor before it crashed.

Also, linuxsampler - only with Jsampler, qsampler just crashes it straight away, will only work (with the onscreen keyboard) unless I connect a midi device through Jack (doesn't out put anything if I choose MIDI Alsa), then it crashes instantly. I get varying results from linuxsampler. Sometimes it will stay up, and I can play notes -even when connecting a MIDI device through Jack - but with quite bad latency, and other times it just crashes. If I try and load another .gig file, it just sits there saying "load instrument..." again, like I didn't just do it. With this output (if I run it with valgrind):

zombified - calling shutdown handler
Jack: Jack server shutdown, exiting.
==9777== 
==9777== More than 10000000 total errors detected.  I'm not reporting any more.
==9777== Final error counts will be inaccurate.  Go fix your program!
==9777== Rerun with --error-limit=no to disable this cutoff.  Note
==9777== that errors may occur in your program without prior warning from
==9777== Valgrind, because errors are no longer being displayed.
==9777== 
The .gig file is the Maestro Grand v2 from the link on the linuxsampler website.

I sometimes get this in the Jack output as well, although not all the time:

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.540 msecs
client event poll on 25 for LinuxSampler-01 starts at 7786205550
19:53:34.829 XRUN callback (40).
...although I'm not sure if that means anything.

PS. I found the Vocoder - thanks ;-)
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Could you post your JACK settings? cat ~/.jackdrc in a terminal prints out the last settings you used JACK with.
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Hmmm...I get nothing if I type that into a terminal. Just sits there doing nothing with a cursor flashing.

dave@ubuntustudio:~$ cat - /.jackdrc

I do, however have a video of Rakarrack crashing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftLsp0buTH8

I have Compiz on in this, but I get the same results with it off.

EDIT: Incidently, thanks for the 'recordmydesktop' package ;-)
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

My bad my bad :oops:
cat ~/.jackdrc
Sorry!

AH! The tilde (~) looks like a dash (-) because of the CSS of this forum. If you copy the command and paste it with ctrl+shift+v in a terminal it should work.

And it's not necessary to run recordMyDesktop with sudo ;) And Rakarrack crashes because of the Convolotron and Reverbtron effects being enabled like transmogrifox explained earlier. If you disable those first and then enable the Vocoder effect (you now only add it) it should work.
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

:oops: Sorry!

/usr/bin/jackd -v -R -P1 -dalsa -dhw:1 -r44100 -p1024 -n2 -Xseq

I should have realised that "~" - I must look like a real newbie!
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Thanks! That looks alright, bit of a high Frames/Period setting, now you have a latency of about half a second which is way too high. Could you also post the outcome of aplay -l ?
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Ah, ok, I'll change those ;-)

I only ran it as sudo as it complained about not having rights to output the file, so rather than fix it, I took the easy option ;-)

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC880 Analog [ALC880 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: M1010LT [M Audio Delta 1010LT], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712 multi]
  Subdevices: 1/1
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

dchurch24 wrote:I only ran it as sudo as it complained about not having rights to output the file, so rather than fix it, I took the easy option ;-)
Then you probably tried to save it to a directory on which you have no permissions. [Linux sysop mumble]Really, don't use sudo in those kind of situations, sudo is there to do administrative tasks, not to run userland applications like recordMyDesktop[/Linux sysop mumble] ;)
dchurch24 wrote:

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC880 Analog [ALC880 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
card 1: M1010LT [M Audio Delta 1010LT], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712 multi]
  Subdevices: 1/1
That looks good, hw:1 is indeed the correct card (you could also use hw:M1010LT btw, then JACK will always pick the M-Audio card). But I've spotted an anomaly, You're running JACK with prio 1 (the -P1 option), now every single app will get priority and leave JACK all xrunning on its own. Try 70.
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Aha - LinuxSampler seems to be working now! Fantastic! It does sound a bit distorted, but I'm sure I can work on that! ;-) It still only loads one .gig file though.

Rakarrack crashes even with those two effects switched off though, sadly. In fact, sometimes it crashes Jack with it.

EDIT: I stand corrected. After it crashes, I start it again, get rid of those effects and sure enough it starts working. I still have the same problem with the vocoder though. I either get Zyn with the effect and my voice, or the other way around. Nothing is being vocoded. I turned the ring up to about 70, but still no joy.

I changed the Frames/Period to 512, is this ok?
Then you probably tried to save it to a directory on which you have no permissions. [Linux sysop mumble]Really, don't use sudo in those kind of situations, sudo is there to do administrative tasks, not to run userland applications like recordMyDesktop[/Linux sysop mumble] ;)
Point taken :oops: I feel duly told off ;-) I'm just lazy at heart!