[SOLVED ;-) ] Myriad of problems....

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dchurch24
Established Member

[SOLVED ;-) ] Myriad of problems....

Post by dchurch24 »

Hi again,

I've managed to get up and running, and now I have a midi controller keyboard working (had to revert back to Ubuntu 9.10 from 10.04), but now, just about the only thing I can use is ZynAddSubFX, which is an excellent bit of software, but I need (or want I should say) to use more *real* sounds.

I can't get LinuxSampler working, which is a shame as I have hundreds of samples collected from all over the place. Jsampler keeps telling me it can't establish a connection, and qsampler tells me that there was a problem setting up Channel 0 (probably the same thing causing both errors I would guess). Both occur when loading any .gig files, then I ok the messages and they disappear from the Jack connections window.
I can't get the LAPSDA Vocoder working, no error or anything, just does nothing.
I can't get Rakarrack installed. I can only find 32 bit .deb files [EDIT: Just found autostatics 64bit .deb file, the first one fails with dependency errors, but an older version installs fine - but alas, no difference to the sounds no matter which effect is loaded), and when I try to compile from source it fails at the first hurdle.
I can get LMMS working, but only the Zyn synth creates any sound.
Jack won't start if I select 'Real Time' despite being on US9.04RT.
I can only get Rosegarden to work with one instrument at a time; I did manage to get it working with multiple versions of Zyn once, but even by duplicating exactly what I did that time, it hasn't happened again.
I'm starting to get really despondent with it again, every time I have an idea in my head that I want to record, I have to spend 2-4 hours getting the machine working again, and by then I've usually forgotten what it was I wanted to put down in the first place.

/rant ;-)
Last edited by dchurch24 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capoeira
Established Member

Re: Myriad of problems....

Post by Capoeira »

some times audio in linux (not exlusivey though ;-)) is kind of a "brain-fuck"
ask in Linuxsampler-forum to resolve your problem with it:
http://bb.linuxsampler.org/index.php?si ... 0fbdab535a
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Jack won't start if I select 'Real Time' ...
The realtime option has nothing to with the rt kernel. You can have jack running in realtime mode even with the generic kernel. You just need to give your user some privileges. This is, rtprio and memlock in /etc/security/limits.conf

jack in realtime mode is very important. An rt kernel can improve things if you have a well configured rtirq-init script.

Cheers! Pablo
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

dchurch24 wrote:I can't get LinuxSampler working, which is a shame as I have hundreds of samples collected from all over the place. Jsampler keeps telling me it can't establish a connection, and qsampler tells me that there was a problem setting up Channel 0 (probably the same thing causing both errors I would guess). Both occur when loading any .gig files, then I ok the messages and they disappear from the Jack connections window.
I think you're setting up LinuxSampler the wrong way. Are you using Fantasia? If so, then [lsd]'s howto might work for you: http://wootangent.net/2010/05/the-salam ... mpler-cvs/
Ok, it's for loading a SFZ file, but just leave it on GIG and the rest should be the same.
dchurch24 wrote:I can't get the LAPSDA Vocoder working, no error or anything, just does nothing.
That's right. On it's own it does nothing. Are you feeding a Formant and a Carrier signal to it? How did you set it up?
dchurch24 wrote:I can't get Rakarrack installed. I can only find 32 bit .deb files [EDIT: Just found autostatics 64bit .deb file, the first one fails with dependency errors, but an older version installs fine - but alas, no difference to the sounds no matter which effect is loaded), and when I try to compile from source it fails at the first hurdle.
My Rakarrack package should install the necessary dependencies, it won't even build in my PPA if the dependencies aren't met. Which dependency errors do you get?
dchurch24 wrote:Jack won't start if I select 'Real Time' despite being on US9.04RT.
Then make sure your /etc/security/limits.conf has these two lines:

Code: Select all

@audio   -  rtprio     95
@audio   -  memlock    unlimited
And check if your user is a member of the audio group.
dchurch24 wrote:I'm starting to get really despondent with it again, every time I have an idea in my head that I want to record, I have to spend 2-4 hours getting the machine working again, and by then I've usually forgotten what it was I wanted to put down in the first place.
Then get your machine up and running again, and get it running rock solid so that if you have an idea you can just start up and record immediately. We can help you here to make it rock solid.
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Hi,

I followed the example given in the link, as usual though, I can create the Jack/Alsa clients, but when I add (actually, before I even click the Add button) a .gig file, simply browsing to it and then clicking OK, the clients disappear from the Jack connection window. If I then click OK, then I get "Connection to Backend failed". If I click "Reconnect" I get "Unable to establish a connection".

When I start jsampler I get the following error at the terminal:

06-Sep-2010 18:30:21 org.jsampler.CC loadOrchestras
INFO: /root/.jsampler/orchestras.xml (No such file or directory)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /root/.jsampler/orchestras.xml (No such file or directory)
	at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
	at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:137)
	at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:96)
	at org.jsampler.CC.loadOrchestras(CC.java:399)
	at org.jsampler.JSampler.initGUI0(JSampler.java:103)
	at org.jsampler.JSampler.access$100(JSampler.java:36)
	at org.jsampler.JSampler$1.run(JSampler.java:92)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:226)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:602)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:275)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:200)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:185)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:177)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:138)
06-Sep-2010 18:30:23 org.linuxsampler.lscp.Client setSoTimeout
INFO: Unable to set timeout
java.net.SocketException: Socket Closed
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.setOption(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:182)
	at java.net.Socket.setSoTimeout(Socket.java:1035)
	at org.linuxsampler.lscp.Client.setSoTimeout(Client.java:188)
	at org.jsampler.task.Global$SetClientReadTimeout.exec(Global.java:265)
	at org.jsampler.task.EnhancedTask.run(EnhancedTask.java:57)
	at net.sf.juife.AbstractTask.invokeAndWait(AbstractTask.java:180)
	at net.sf.juife.TaskQueue.processTheQueue(TaskQueue.java:176)
	at net.sf.juife.TaskQueue.start0(TaskQueue.java:147)
	at net.sf.juife.TaskQueue.access$000(TaskQueue.java:43)
	at net.sf.juife.TaskQueue$1.run(TaskQueue.java:140)

This is out to the console before I start to create any midi/audio devices. After those errors, there's nothing more on the terminal.

As per the Vocoder, I am sending a carrier and formant signal, I connect them in the Connections window in Jack, and then I choose a sound in Zyn and speak into the Mic and I get my unaffected voice and the standard output from ZynAddFX coming through the speakers. Both inputs are connected to the inputs/vocoder ins in the window and the outputs are only out through the vocoder out, so I wouldn't hear either if the vocoder wasn't routing them. I have tried connecting them the other way around (Carrier to in, Formant to vocoder-in), but then I get no sound at all.

On Rakarrack the dependency error is "libasound2". This is on the rakarrack_0.6.0+git07272010-0lucid0~autostatic0_amd64.deb. The rakarrack_0.5.8+git06112010~autostatic1_amd64.deb works fine though.

My user is in the audio group, but when I click the 'realtime' checkbox and then restart Jack I get this:

Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
server `default' registered
cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread 675358448, from thread 675358448] (1: Operation not permitted)
cannot create engine
cleaning up shared memory
cleaning up files
unregistering server `default'
18:40:29.161 JACK was stopped successfully.
18:40:29.162 Post-shutdown script...
18:40:29.162 killall jackd
jackd: no process found
18:40:29.584 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.
18:40:31.204 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
Both the:

@audio   -  rtprio     95
@audio   -  memlock    unlimited
...lines are in the limits.conf file. If I run it like this: sudo /usr/bin/qjackctl then I can enabled realtime. I tried running jsampler the same way (when running Jack as sudo), but I get the same errors outlined above.

Last time I was up and running (yesterday, with some things at least), I saved the Jack configuration. When I loaded that today, the number of the soundcards had changed (HW:1 became HW:2 and vice-versa, so my saving it no longer worked).
brummer

Post by brummer »

dchurch24 wrote:Hi again,

...had to revert back to Ubuntu 9.10 from 10.04....
Do you mean you have (try to) downgrade your system from Ubuntu 10.4 to 9.10 ?
If so, that could explain your probs, all in all it sounds like a serious misconfiguration between some system wide libs

or have you made a fresh install ?
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Nah, I have 3 HDDs in the machine.

One has 8.04, one 9.10 and now one has 10.04.

I simply swapped the HDD over back to the 9.10 one.

All were fresh installs.
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

If I run linuxsampler from the terminal and then use jsampler to connect to it, I can see a more verbose error.

This occurs the moment I try to load any .gig file:

dave@ubuntustudio:~/Desktop/Clean_Up$ java -jar Fantasia-0.9.jar 
LSCPServer: Client connection established on socket:4.
LSCPServer: Client connection established on socket:5.
linuxsampler: malloc.c:3074: sYSMALLOc: Assertion `(old_top == (((mbinptr) (((char *) &((av)->bins[((1) - 1) * 2])) - __builtin_offsetof (struct malloc_chunk, fd)))) && old_size == 0) || ((unsigned long) (old_size) >= (unsigned long)((((__builtin_offsetof (struct malloc_chunk, fd_nextsize))+((2 * (sizeof(size_t))) - 1)) & ~((2 * (sizeof(size_t))) - 1))) && ((old_top)->size & 0x1) && ((unsigned long)old_end & pagemask) == 0)' failed.
06-Sep-2010 19:23:53 org.jsampler.DefaultLSConsoleModel$LSConsoleThread run
INFO: Stream closed.
java.io.IOException: Stream closed.
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.available(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:418)
	at java.net.SocketInputStream.available(SocketInputStream.java:234)
	at org.jsampler.DefaultLSConsoleModel$LscpInputStream.available(DefaultLSConsoleModel.java:528)
	at org.jsampler.DefaultLSConsoleModel$LSConsoleThread.processInput(DefaultLSConsoleModel.java:467)
	at org.jsampler.DefaultLSConsoleModel$LSConsoleThread.run(DefaultLSConsoleModel.java:443)
06-Sep-2010 19:23:53 org.jsampler.DefaultLSConsoleModel$LSConsoleThread run
This seems to be something with allocating memory, but my C isn't good enough to find out what.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

...lines are in the limits.conf file
can you give us the output of

ulimit -l -r

?
...the number of the soundcards had changed (HW:1 became HW:2 and vice-versa...
You can solve this by editing /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf . Or, better and a lot easier, use the name of the card:

Look at:

cat /proc/asound/cards

You will see this name between square brackets, then write this in the interface field (even if there is not the option in the drop down menu):

hw:NAME

For example:

cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [M2496 ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96
M Audio Audiophile 24/96 at 0xbc00, irq 22
1 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xfebf8000 irq 22

In this case I would use "hw:M2496" if I want jack with the m-audio card.

Cheers! Pablo
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Hi, thanks for the replies.

dave@ubuntustudio:~$ ulimit -l -r
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) unlimited
real-time priority              (-r) 95
...however, I just logged out and in again (duh!) and I can now run Jack in realtime.

I still can't load .gig files into JSampler, which I thought might be fixed by this because of the malloc error.
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Woooooot!

Ahhh - you guys!

I owe so many people so many beers!

It just started working!

I ran linuxsampler like this:

valgrind linuxsampler

...to see if it gave me any more clues (thanks to a guy over at linuxsampler,com), and suddenly it loaded the Concert Piano .gig file!

Quite a bit of latency though - making it almost unusable, but it's a start! ;-) EDIT: If I create a Jack midi device instead of Alsa, the latency is better, not brilliant, but usable! Yay!

If I run it without valgrind, then it fails as above.

Also, since adding myself into the audio group, I am no longer a 'sudoer'.

Is there a way I can put this back?

EDIT: Forget that, I've worked out how to make me a sudoer again.
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

I've compiled Rakarrack from source (cvs and git don't compile btw) and now Rakarrack is working.

Still a few issues though.

I have to change the preset before using it, or it will crash after 3-4 seconds, but overall I can use it now - although only for a few minutes before it crashes ;-)

Still a bit lost over how to use the Vocoder. I have a mic going into Rakarrack 'aux' and ZynSubFX going into in_1 & in_2 respectively, but still I get my voice over the top of whichever sound I've chosen from Zyn and the effect is simply added.

Which preset do I need to choose to get the vocoder?
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

dchurch24 wrote:When I start jsampler I get the following error at the terminal:

INFO: /root/.jsampler/orchestras.xml (No such file or directory)
/root/ ? Are you trying to run it as root? That could be one of the causes of your issues.
dchurch24 wrote:As per the Vocoder, I am sending a carrier and formant signal, I connect them in the Connections window in Jack, and then I choose a sound in Zyn and speak into the Mic and I get my unaffected voice and the standard output from ZynAddFX coming through the speakers. Both inputs are connected to the inputs/vocoder ins in the window and the outputs are only out through the vocoder out, so I wouldn't hear either if the vocoder wasn't routing them. I have tried connecting them the other way around (Carrier to in, Formant to vocoder-in), but then I get no sound at all.
Which vocoder is this about? the LADSPA Vocoder? JACK Vocoder? Rakarrack? When it concerns one of the first two, the first input is the Carrier (your voice) and the second input is the Formant (a softsynth). The output of the first two vocoders is mono and should be your vocoded signal.
dchurch24 wrote:On Rakarrack the dependency error is "libasound2". This is on the rakarrack_0.6.0+git07272010-0lucid0~autostatic0_amd64.deb. The rakarrack_0.5.8+git06112010~autostatic1_amd64.deb works fine though.
The first package is for Lucid 10.04 and the second for Karmic 9.10. That explains the dependency errors, you cannot just install debs from different releases on a given release.

cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread 675358448, from thread 675358448] (1: Operation not permitted)
Then your user is not in the audio group but you figured that out already :)
dchurch24 wrote:If I run it like this: sudo /usr/bin/qjackctl then I can enabled realtime. I tried running jsampler the same way (when running Jack as sudo), but I get the same errors outlined above.
Just a tip, or maybe even a Linux Rule of Thumb: don't troubleshoot issues by running stuff as root. The next thing you know you're running everything as root because then it just works.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

dchurch24 wrote:I have to change the preset before using it, or it will crash after 3-4 seconds, but overall I can use it now - although only for a few minutes before it crashes ;-)
How does it crash? Does it produce any errors if you run it in a terminal? Are you using a composite Window Manager perhaps?
dchurch24 wrote:Still a bit lost over how to use the Vocoder. I have a mic going into Rakarrack 'aux' and ZynSubFX going into in_1 & in_2 respectively, but still I get my voice over the top of whichever sound I've chosen from Zyn and the effect is simply added.
Maybe this could be helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9LK-gYOX1E (I haven't published it yet because it needs to be redone in better quality)
dchurch24 wrote:Which preset do I need to choose to get the vocoder?
In Rakarrack? Haven't tried the Vocoder in Rakarrack yet but when you hit the button "Put order in your Rack" you can select which effect you want to have in which place in your FX chain.
transmogrifox
Established Member

Post by transmogrifox »

Hi...it's good to read a post when by the last few posts things are working for the person :mrgreen: I have some beers to buy for people too, for the help I have received over the years.

About Rakarrack Vocoder or any Rakarrack effect:
As mentioned earlier, you can add any effect to the "rack" by using the "Put order in your rack" button.
Presets (especially default presets) are more of a convenience than a primary function. The program is designed to put all parameters at a single mouse click, and be able to load & reorganize the rack to quickly come up with sounds that suit your music best. Then you can save it as a preset, or even save it into the bank for quick recall. The presets are a good starting point, but only scratch the surface of what the program is able to do.

If you compile 0.6.0 from the git repository,things are even easier since there are some sorting buttons to help put things into different categories...I can't remember but I think 0.5.8 might have had this...and maybe at least 0.5.8 had alphabetical order before release (I am one of the devs, so my version is always git and I cannot remember the state at time of release ;)). And yes, git and CVS both compile fine. You need to have dependencies met as well as some autotools.... here is a series of YouTube videos I have made showing the process of compiling from source (git): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfdqjReVD_s , which is part 1 of 3. You can find parts 2 and 3 on my channel.

Version 0.6.0 has also added options in the Preferences to increase vocoder bands up to 256. I find 128 bands has nearly perfect diction...then the downsampling on that effect can be set to 22050 so it doesn't eat up your CPU. I think I need to make a video of this. Opensuacemusic made a video using Rakarrack vocoder, and I think it's this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMWmqo1c72g , but it might be one of the others on his channel.

As for your issue with "sound simply added"... either you have inadvertently connected the mic also to another output in jackd, or maybe you have the 'ring' parameter set to something other than 0. The ring parameter multiplies (sort of like a ring modulator) the aux channel with left and right channels. This might have this effect, but generally it is more bizarre.

Second, there is a Wet/Dry mix on the Vocoder. Set it to all wet if you don't want to hear any of the 'dry' instrument coming through.

Read the Help for more information about how the vocoder works, as it is really well documented. In Rakarrack, you can press F1 for help or get it from the help menu....or if you want most current help for what is in git repository, you can also read it online:
http://rakarrack.sourceforge.net/effects.html#Vocoder

Finally you mentioned some issues with having to change a preset before starting the program. Most likely you have a preset using Convolotron, Reverbtron, or Harmonizer. If you just installed and are launching what comes up first, that is probably the "Rodent Airlines" preset, which uses Reverbtron. These effect modules have really high CPU requirements and probably your machine can't handle it and it is crashing due to excessive processor usage...usually Rakarrack gets zombified in this case. In Preferences I recommend setting all downsample values for the FX to 22050 or less, then processing load is safe for most computers.

From there you can increase or decrease downsampling to balance FX quality with CPU load you are willing to sacrifice. If you really want Rakarrack to be light-weight, then make a preset bank that never uses those effects and it will be peachy. In v0.6.0 (current git development) you can drag and drop presets in a bank to organize all your favorites into one area, then save the bank.

For all versions you can save whatever presets you make or modify simply by right-click on the slot in the bank where you want to save it, then click ok when you get the "Are you sure?" nag message. That way you can modify any presets using High-CPU effects to use different things, or simply disable them (for a different sound), save the bank, then map that as your default user bank in settings...done ;)