Ardour/Hydrogen - no sound output

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dchurch24
Established Member

Ardour/Hydrogen - no sound output

Post by dchurch24 »

Hi all,

I haven't recorded for a while (about a month), and I turned on my DAW machine yesterday as I had a few ideas floating around in my head (which have since gone!), started up Hydrogen and Ardour which all started ok (Jack must have been running), the EQ goes up and down when I click a drum or load on old song into Ardour, but I have no sound out at all.

The result of dmesg shows:

Code: Select all

dave@ubuntustudio:~$ dmesg |grep ICE
[   19.409352] ICE1712 0000:03:00.0: PCI INT A -> Link[LNEC] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
The card is a M-Audio Delta 66 - which was working fine (thanks to you fine people here!) until yesterday.

I've played around with the settings in Jack - all to no avail. The output amp is all wired fine, as if I pull out the output from the breakout box and touch it with my finger, I can hear the static through the speakers. All connections have been screwed in tight etc.... so I think it's a software issue.
GarryO
Established Member

Re: Ardour/Hydrogen - no sound output

Post by GarryO »

Are you getting any sound when jack is _not_ running (killall jackd if necessary) - playing an mp3 for example?
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

I'm not sure. I will have another look when I get home, although I have to start Jack manually (I have set it this way), and I don't recall getting any output from Audacity (or anything else for that matter) without Jack running (even when it was working).

I have looked in alsamixer and all the volumes are up.
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Odd. Without Jack running, I can start Audacity and press 'Play' and the speakers do a little 'fart' sound.

If I then run Jack, and do the same, the 'fart' sound doesn't happen.
GarryO
Established Member

Post by GarryO »

so you get no sound with or without jack? apart from fart sounds?

what does this command report: sudo lsmod | grep ice

and what about this one: cat /proc/asound/cards

~G.
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure what the fart sounds are - however I have found why I had no sound.

In the Envy24 control, for some inexplicable reason (I don't think I would have changed this, although I suppose I must have), the first two output channels were set to SPDIF - which I don't use!

I changed these, and voila! I have sound again.

Thank you very much for your time and trouble - thankfully I'm recording again!