Get more hydrogen drumkits

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Pablo
Established Member

Get more hydrogen drumkits

Post by Pablo »

Godfreelovejoy said:
Is there a way I can use LMMS sounds in the Hydrogen drum kit,Hydrogen seems to have just one drum kit and it's not as good as some of the sounds in LMMS, is it possible to use LMMS drum sounds in Hydrogen.The drum writing program itself is great.It would be better if I could access the LMMS drum sounds to use
Distro: ubuntu(studio) 9.10
Hydrogen version: 0.9.3 (I guess)
No internet connection

Well, it is possible, but not easy. Another approach: get more hydrogen drumkits.

There are at least two ways to achieve this in ubuntu.

1) Get a deb package from ubuntu universe repo, called hydrogen-drumkits. You can get it from here in another computer:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/hydrogen-drumkits

Put it in a flashdrive and copy to your computer. You are not supposed to do anything more than installing it. Right click in the file and open with package installer GDebi.

The installer will put the sound files and the drumkit definition (a xml file) into the right location. This location is: /usr/share/hydrogen/data/drumkits

Each drumkit has a folder with the audio files and the xml file. If you are curious, you can navigate to this directory graphically (just open your home folder, and first of all go up in the directory tree up to "/" (the root directory), then navigate to the given location). However, do nothing. This is just for education.

Launch hydrogen and you should have some 20 new drumkits...

2) Get ".h2drumkits" packages from the internet. Maybe this is more intuitive for you, as the hydrogen drumkits are packaged and ready to be installed by hydrogen itself, nothing to do with the ubuntu packaging sytem the way 1) is based on. With this method , you install drumkits one by one.

Once you have the h2drumkit package in your computer (or just in the pendrive), install it. Menu Instruments, import library, local file... browse, install.

This will put the audio files and the xml files into the right location for hydrogen to use it. In my experience, this method installs the relevant files into /home/user/.hydrogen/data/drumkits, which is a "user drumkit" as opposed to "system drumkit". As you see, both locations are perfectly right and functional. Of course you can move files to get the drumkits in a unique location, just for organization, but for the time being, leave it alone. By the way, you can miss .hydrogen in your home directory because it is a hidden directory (note the dot). You can see it by pressing Control + H, or just "show hidden files" in the view menu of nautilus (the file browser).

You have .h2drumkits files here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hydroge ... Libraries/

Here too,

http://briansbedroom.org/

You also can make your own kits (even from sounds taken from another program or software synth), add a instrument to a kit, edit the instruments... but for the time being, this is enough. There is a drumkit competition but don't worry. Maybe next year :)

Songs and drumkits are separate concepts, so don't worry about your songs. They won't get lost just by installing more drumkits. Just be careful when changing drumkits as there is no standard mapping for them.

I hope this helps, Pablo
Godfreelovejoy
Established Member

Re: Get more hydrogen drumkits

Post by Godfreelovejoy »

I'm trying to follow copy Hydrogen drumkits from flashdrive,,,I have copy in my computer,can't find installer Gdebi,,,where is it do I have to get that off the net first or is there another installer in Ubuntu that will do it???I'm trying to learn to trust my own judgement and it usualy ends up all wrong,I will install the kits with whatever is there to do it,at this stage,I will check for your responce tonight,it's about 9;30am here in NZ.
Godfreelovejoy
Established Member

Post by Godfreelovejoy »

Still can't find Gdebi installer,I found a windows one and that doesn't seem to work I can get the drumkit manager to bring up the files from desktop and I type in drumkits and say load and it doesn't,it's so frustrating having the file there in drumkit manager and it still won't load it!!!
suinonatante
Established Member

Post by suinonatante »

why do you want to use gdebi? "sudo dpkg -i package_to_install.deb" isn't enough? i advise you to read some debian/ubuntu manual.
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

gdebi works fine for me too.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Hi,

You have a file in your ubuntu computer called "hydrogen-drumkits_0.9.3.20070703-1_all.deb", downloaded from http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/hydrogen-drumkits don't you?
Right-click on that file, and choose open with GDEbi installer (or similar, I think it is the first option). You should have that option in your ubuntu computer so you don't have to get GDebi from anywhere.

If that option is not present, then I will be wrong and you will have to deal with the terminal as you have been told, "sudo dpkg -i hydrogen-drumkits_0.9.3.20070703-1_all.deb" (use TAB to autocomplete). But, as you don't like the terminal and I am 90% sure you have GDebi, use GDebi which installs the package exactly the same.

Forget about importing anything from hydrogen drumkit manager if you follow this way!! They are automagically imported if you manage to install the flipping package!

After the instalation, open hydrogen (or restart it, in case it was already open). Go to view, show drumkit manager, and you should see about 20 different drumkits you can load and try.

You can use the little arrows in the pattern editor on top of the instruments, to change the instrument order.

Only in case you download drumkits with the .h2drumkit extension, only in this case, you have to import them from the hydrogen drumkit manager.

Cheers! Pablo
joaquinotero
Established Member

Post by joaquinotero »

If you have SF2 drum files, you can get the wav file via VSAMPLER and then import and organize them as hidrogen instruments. SF2 supports multivelocity, so you will have to arrage their files to work properly in Hydrogen.