Pattern based sequencers

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

Pattern based sequencers

Post by studio32 »

Hi,

What are the best pattern based sequencers on Linux?

I know there is:
* seq24
* non-sequencer
* dino
* epichord

Which one do use/ like the most?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Pattern based sequencers

Post by funkmuscle »

seq24 because it's so freakin' easy to use and no Phd or Science degree necessary to use it.
As you know studio, I was asking about non-sequencer and no help with using that, I tried dino and can't even use the pattern editor and epichord, never heard of so will be trying that next but seq24 has never failed me yet.

Just tried epichord... strange beast... still not as easy as seq24
studio32

Post by studio32 »

funkmuscle wrote: As you know studio, I was asking about non-sequencer and no help with using that
If you want to do stuff like transposing etc. I don't know whether those little pattern based seqs are good for that or can even do it... You better try qtractor or oomidi if you want to do advanced stuff.
, I tried dino and can't even use the pattern editor
ctr + left mouse

what style of music are you making?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I use the sequencers for bass. I don't have one so I use them.
style of music is pop, blues and metal. Don't have a keyboard neither.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

i didn't know seq24 was pattern-based.

can they be used like hydrogen?

do they have humanize-effects?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

seq24 is very basic. I create the bass track I need in patterns, arrange them in the song editor, sync it with hydrogen via jack and I now have my bass and drum track... no humanizer like hydrogen but strangely enough, when it's synced with hydrogen with humanizer on, it seems to follow tightly along.
Can't remember is H2 was master or seq24..
studio32

Post by studio32 »

I played a bit with non-sequencer, I finaly understand those different modes pattern, phrase, sequence. Cool :)

The only problem I have now is to let it work smoothly with non-daw, cause it seems I can only use those apps with jack transport ON :shock:
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

@studio32
The only problem I have now is to let it work smoothly with non-daw, cause it seems I can only use those apps with jack transport
I think you're right about that.. I had it transposed before but it won't do it now.. I shouldn't say transpose. I would load a soundfont of a bass guitar in Qsynth and non-seq only plays the high notes.
I think the lefthand side had a scroll bar but I can't see it to lower the notes. :(
studio32

Post by studio32 »

funkmuscle wrote:@studio32
The only problem I have now is to let it work smoothly with non-daw, cause it seems I can only use those apps with jack transport
I think you're right about that.. I had it transposed before but it won't do it now.. I shouldn't say transpose. I would load a soundfont of a bass guitar in Qsynth and non-seq only plays the high notes.
I think the lefthand side had a scroll bar but I can't see it to lower the notes. :(
You should read the manual carefully and so the list of short cuts! See non-sequencer as instrument, you have to learn to work with it.

You can go down with your arrow down on your keyboard.

For transposing, you can select the range of notes you want to transpose and (afaik) arrow up/ down to place it somewhere else. Check again the shortcuts.
laba170
Established Member

Post by laba170 »

studio32 wrote: * seq24
* non-sequencer
* dino
* epichord
Of the ones you've listed there, I have only tried seq24 and non-sequencer. Seq24 is definitely my favorite of those two. It is simpler and easier to understand, and I don't like the pattern-grid in non. For example, I can't zoom in with ctr+mouse wheel, and I can't select multiple notes with a mousedrag.

Non-sequencer is really fast though, and the work-flow with patterns, phrases and sequences seems interesting. Too bad I don't get that work-flow at all. I could need a video-tutorial or something.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

laba170 wrote: For example, I can't zoom in with ctr+mouse wheel, and I can't select multiple notes with a mousedrag.

Non-sequencer is really fast though, and the work-flow with patterns, phrases and sequences seems interesting. Too bad I don't get that work-flow at all. I could need a video-tutorial or something.
It works different, but all the things you mention are possible. Check the manual and especially the shortcuts.

Code: Select all

horizontal zoom out
horizontal zoom in
vertical zoom out
vertical zoom in 
I also noticed I need an extra pattern to see see all the phrases. So if you have 5 patterns, I see 4 patterns in the phrase editor. So if I create an extra (empty) pattern (c), I see all the 5 patterns. Take the time to learn it.

Also I got about one crash in a hour, so save regularly, then it´s not a very big problem to me atm.

Key bindings:

Code: Select all

Key Bindings

These keys are in effect when the pattern or phrase editor grid is focused. 
Fig. 1. Editor Keybindings 

keyfunction 

[
previous 

]
next 

horizontal zoom out 

horizontal zoom in 

vertical zoom out 

vertical zoom in 

c
create 

d
duplicate 

f
move to playhead 

r
select range as defined by L and R cursors 

q
select none 

C
crop to range 

Delete
delete selected 

Shift-Delete
clear grid 

Control-Delete
delete time in range 

Control-Insert
insert time 

Arrow keys
move viewport 

Ctrl-Left
move to previous note 

Ctrl-Right
move to next note 

move selection left 

>
move selection right 

move selection up 

move selection down 

t
trim length 

Space
toggle transport 

m
mute 

s
solo Fig. 2. Gloabl keybindings 

keyfunction 

Alt-p
Switch to pattern editor 

Alt-a
Switch to phrase editor 

Alt-s
Switch to sequence editor 

Space
Toggle transport 

Home
Locate transport to frame 0 
Other functions are accessible from the menus or the key is otherwise indicated.