Audacity

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Nihilist88
Established Member

Audacity

Post by Nihilist88 »

Hey guys I have a USB mic. I know it works I have used it before with Win7 before I switched to Mint 7. It is a "rock-band" USB mic. I think they work fine for a really rough recording. But, I for some reason can not get my system to pick it up. I know Mint supports USB because my entire wireless desktop is USB. So can someone help me? It is also plug-and-play.
Nihilist88
Established Member

Re: Audacity

Post by Nihilist88 »

I got it to pick it up but this is what it says:
"Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate."
Nihilist88
Established Member

Post by Nihilist88 »

So I got the mic to work over the system just not in Audacity. Please can someone help? I keep getting the same error message.
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

This might be of some help to you?
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/USB_mic_on_Linux
Nihilist88 wrote:So I got the mic to work over the system just not in Audacity. Please can someone help? I keep getting the same error message.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

That's probably the worst howto page ever ;) It only complicates things and doesn't even explain how to use a USB mic in Audacity.
@Nihilist88, "Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate." And what type of USB mic do you have?
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Auto I think this is why Jans suggestion on templates is very important. If you type a command into any search engine these days it will provide many older fixes and unless you REALLY know what you are doing will lead you down the wrong path and create confusion. Some of course are more recent, but you still have to know.

Nih. Sorry if my post lead you astray we seriously do need to nail a few common ground issues to make Linux language and introduction easier to understand (Including me).

Apologies again. You are a great group of people. I'll get there and hope I can help when I do?

Thank you.
AutoStatic wrote:That's probably the worst howto page ever ;) It only complicates things and doesn't even explain how to use a USB mic in Audacity.
@Nihilist88, "Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate." And what type of USB mic do you have?
Yeri
Established Member

Post by Yeri »

Hi nihilist,

If you are sure that your mic is recognized as a sound interface in your system, you can skip the first two steps.

first, to make sure the mic is recognized plug it in and type 'lsusb'
it should appear some entry related to the mic (if you are not sure, type 'lsusb' before and after plugging the mic and see if there is any difference in the output).

After seeing the mic is recognized you must see if it is recognized as a sound interface. Type 'cat /proc/asound/cards' and check if there is an entry regarding your mic (again, you can do the trick above of typing the command before and after you connect your mic and check if there are differences)

At this point you may know what identifier has been assigned to your mic.
Run Audacity and configure as output device the one with the same id than your mic.

It is very important to try different sample-rate and sample-length settings.
Most of these gear only work with ONE configuration.
The most usual is sample-rate = 44100 and sample-length = 16bit

Let me know if it worked,

Gerard.