How can I get Rosegarden to actually work?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

autostatic
Established Member

Re: How can I get Rosegarden to actually work?

Post by autostatic »

Chipfryer wrote:Auto you are a star, thank you.
I'm not totally certain what ubuntu build mint is comprised from having looked on their homepage.
You're welcome. Mint 8 is based on and compatible with 9.10: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint#Releases
Chipfryer wrote:I then installed the older version via Synaptic and then tried to overwrite this with the above file but then got dependency errors.
I can't follow you here. Why did you do this? Because Rosegarden didn't appear in your menu? That is probably because you only installed the rosegarden-data package, that is not the actual program itself. The actual program is comprised in the other package, the rosegarden one.
Chipfryer wrote: I'll try the configure/make commands from an svn again later.
Did you try installing both packages? That should save you from going through the hassle of having to install a gazillion dev packages and the compiling itself.
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Hi Auto.
No, apologies. I had to go back to Mint 7 since there is a bug for my video card, all I could get was 600 x 800 resolution..

Many thanks again for this. To be honest I'm not totally sure what I should be doing here? :(
I won't waste your good time trying to get this into my thick head. :mrgreen:

The page that you posted only has one deb file that will install
rosegarden-data_10.02-karmic~ppa1_all.deb (47.9 KiB)
The I386 version has dependencies missing.

I guess the above just won't work at the moment. Again thank you very much for your help. I'll leave this for a while and let new learning sink in I think.
Have a great day Auto. Thanks again.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Hi Chipfryer,

Compiling from source failed:

Maybe the svn version doesn't have the configure script. I think it is more convenient you just download the sources of the last stable version (10.02) in Rosegarden's site. There are a configure script there. In most cases, svn is for developers and testers.

Installing rosegarden from Autostatic's PPA failed:

You need to install TWO packages, rosegarden-data..all.deb AND, secondly, rosegarden...???.deb, where ??? is the architecture or your system. If you have a generic ubuntu installation (32 bit), this is i386.

EDIT: I missread your comment. Autostatic will know better, sorry

HTH, Pablo
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Chipfryer wrote:Hi Auto.
No, apologies. I had to go back to Mint 7 since there is a bug for my video card, all I could get was 600 x 800 resolution..
Oh, bummer, my bad, that escaped me. The packages from philip5's PPA probably won't work with Mint 7, 7 is based on Ubuntu 9.04 and the packages are for 9.10.
Chipfryer wrote:I won't waste your good time trying to get this into my thick head. :mrgreen:
No need to apologise! And you're not wasting anyone's time. Maybe my questions seem a bit harsh but I'd like to know why people do certain things so I can better conceive their actions. If I may sound condescending I'd apologise, that's not my intention!

And regarding your Mint 8 display issue, did you totally wipe Mint 8? Otherwise we have to revive your Mint 8 topic again, also because Mint 8/Ubuntu 9.10 should fully support Radeon RV100 cards with the open source radeon driver: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

I think I'm confusing everyone not least myself, apologies. :cry:
When I have time this week I'll reinstall Mint 8 and have another crack at this.

I'll post on that when I get there again. Many apologies.