Problem With QTractor Midi Clip Editor Window

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

RyanH
Established Member

Problem With QTractor Midi Clip Editor Window

Post by RyanH »

In QTractor, I occasionally have an issue with the window for editing MIDI clips. I don't know what triggers this issue or how to fix it.

The Problemo:

Sometimes when I open the MIDI clip editor for a track, the window that opens is wider than my computer screen. I can still rescale the window vertically, but can't rescale it horizontally so that it fits (or to make it smaller than) the width of my screen. Once this happens, the issue persists for this clip for this project - closing the window or exiting the project and re-opening don't fix it. I can still drag the window around so that I can see what I need to see, but can't re-size it width-wise.

Actually, the mystery deepens... I just tried it again before posting this and a new, related phenomenon has cropped up. Previously, when I had the above issue, I could still "grab" the left and right borders of the window with my mouse (i.e. the symbol for "grabbing" appeared), but I couldn't re-scale. Just now, I tried again and can no longer grab those borders. I can, however, still grab the top and bottom borders and re-scale them. Weird!

Anyone else have this issue and/or know how to fix it? I'm using QTractor version 0.9.12, if that's relevant.
rncbc
Established Member

Re: Problem With QTractor Midi Clip Editor Window

Post by rncbc »

not to tell that 0.9.12 is already pretty outdated, you may have to fix it at the session file level: edit your .qtr/.qts and remove all occurrences of the editor-size xml tags--should be one for each midi-clip entry:

Code: Select all

<midi-clip>
  <editor-size>W,H</editor-size>   <-- remove these lines; whatever values W (width) and H (height) in pixels might be...
</midi-clip>
hth.
RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

Hi. Thanks for your reply. It's cool to be communicating with the person behind this software I use almost every day!

I tried deleting those numbers, and also changing them to smaller numbers. I tried it with two tracks: one with the oversized editor window I mentioned in my post, and also for a clip that I don't experience the issue with.

For both clips, after changing the window sizes in the session file, when I re-opened the session, the editor windows only changed vertically, not horizontally. With the normal clip that I don't have the issue with, I can still re-scale it manually. With the problem clip, I still can't manually re-scale it horizontally, only vertically.

So it seems like there are two issues: something sometimes locks a clip's editor window so that it can't be re-scaled manually, and also something prevents changes to the horizontal number in the session file from affecting the window in the session.

Thanks for trying to help. The problem doesn't affect my workflow too much, and only for some tracks. I also plan to upgrade to the next Ubuntu Studio next month, so maybe the newer QTractor will take care of the issue.

Cheers!
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

wth is that WM anyway ? it semms is a WM/compositor/DE issue, that or rotten bytes :)
RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

I was thinking the same thing. My bytes are still pretty fresh :D , but I was thinking it might be an issue with the window manager, which is KWin. I'm using Ubuntu Studio, but it's installed over Kubuntu.

Operating System: Kubuntu 20.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.8
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.68.0
Qt Version: 5.12.8
Kernel Version: 5.4.0-122-lowlatency
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

you may try my PPAs, ppa:rncbc/apps-focal and possibly also ppa:rncbc/libs-focal, for the most recent qtractor...

but again it really seems a WM issue... have you looked on kde system settings, appearance or window management and decorations etc, if there's something to tweak away?

cheers
RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

Sorry for the slow reply - family was in town so less time on the computer.

I just checked my KDE window options and there is one thing I will try next time I'm working on one of those songs. Thanks for prodding me to look into it - there are some options I didn't realize existed, like ALT + different mouse clicks.

Thanks also for the links. I think the stable Ubuntu Studio LTS comes out in a couple of weeks, so I'll wait to see whether that version of QTractor fixes the problem. If not, I'll have a look at your PPAs.

Thanks again!