Ardour Linux Audio - 2022 still no useful pitch correction plugin like Melodyne available ?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tavasti
Established Member

Re: Ardour Linux Audio - 2022 still no useful pitch correction plugin like Melodyne available ?

Post by tavasti »

GMaq wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:05 am And all this time I thought 'professional' singers didn't need autotuning... :P :lol:
If this forum is only for professional musicians, I am in wrong place.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

wjl
Established Member

Re: Ardour Linux Audio - 2022 still no useful pitch correction plugin like Melodyne available ?

Post by wjl »

d.healey wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:34 pm What about https://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-autotune?
I've tried that - and also Reaper's ReTune - with my upright bass lately, and both aren't very good. Never had Melodyne, and never will - because like Glen said, pros don't need these tools IMO (especially us bassists who have far longer scale lengths than violinists for instance) :)

In fact I think that all of these tools - at least the ones I know - were invented to correct the human voice, and ReaTune sometimes doesn't even *display* notes in the lower bass registers...

Interesting thread nonetheless, thanks gents :)
more about me on my blog
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

I'm no fan of the "autotune sound" and the whole thing is overused and abused but "pitch correction" is well used, well liked and implemented more successfully by singers who are actually good at what they do. You can go watch videos of t-pain singing without autotune, he's a talented guy and uses it at as a gimmick rather than a crutch. Only thing that annoys me about is when it used with talented singers because maybe they couldn't be bothered to do another take or the producer just put it on there anyway because it's in fashion.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

tavasti wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:17 am
GMaq wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:05 am And all this time I thought 'professional' singers didn't need autotuning... :P :lol:
If this forum is only for professional musicians, I am in wrong place.
I agree, we're all constantly learning and improving!

It was the OP that mentioned the Plugins were needed in a professional context..
Zonk
Established Member

Post by Zonk »

I want to clarify a few things.

Pitch tools are standard in almost every professional/commercial production these days. Productions without pitch tools have been the exception for a long time. Even great singers like Dimash use it from time to time and singers like Ma..... are completely lost (especially when performing live) without Autotune.

While Autotune automatically corrects everything (sometimes to the point of alienation) - Melodyne can be seen as a creative editor tool that can be used unobtrusively and individually.

I personally use only Reatune/Melodyne in my studio to check over vocal parts and correct them if necessary. I never use Autotune or something for my live performances. For me it is just a tool to monitor the correctness of my singing while recording. What's wrong with that?

I never said I was a professional singer but I work with the best tools at my disposal to improve my singing - ReaTune/Melodyne are just the best tools for this. No more and no less!

My intention was not to start a topic about whether pitch correction tools are legal or not. I was looking for help getting the technical stuff done !
:!:
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

tavasti wrote: I am in wrong place.
Don't worry. It's also for "the deplorables", which is how I got in.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

Zonk wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:48 pm I want to clarify a few things.

Pitch tools are standard in almost every professional/commercial production these days. Productions without pitch tools have been the exception for a long time. Even great singers like Dimash use it from time to time and singers like Ma..... are completely lost (especially when performing live) without Autotune.

While Autotune automatically corrects everything (sometimes to the point of alienation) - Melodyne can be seen as a creative editor tool that can be used unobtrusively and individually.

I personally use only Reatune/Melodyne in my studio to check over vocal parts and correct them if necessary. I never use Autotune or something for my live performances. For me it is just a tool to monitor the correctness of my singing while recording. What's wrong with that?

I never said I was a professional singer but I work with the best tools at my disposal to improve my singing - ReaTune/Melodyne are just the best tools for this. No more and no less!

My intention was not to start a topic about whether pitch correction tools are legal or not. I was looking for help getting the technical stuff done !
It's pretty cool that you started this thread. Without it I had not been aware that someone's actually working on a Melodyne-style FOSS product (as mentioned by Kott).

If the Reaper pitch correction plugin is sufficient for your needs then you probably should use Reaper for now. Otherwise, you might not be getting much done if you're used to certain type of workflow and other DAWs won't suit it. Considering that Melodyne has managed to occupy such a significant portion of the market share, and doesn't seem to have that many competitors, it is rather unlikely that some other company is going to put a similar product with a Linux version out anytime too soon. Come to think of it, we're actually pretty damn lucky that Reaper has such a functionality implemented.

Maintaining your workflow is important. Otherwise, you'll easily end up not getting much done if the FOSS software you'd like to use instead is just frustrating to use for you.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Kott wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:26 am https://github.com/mika314/melonix it's not a plugin (I hope it will some day)

Melodyne works fine for me with Wine, but it works "offline", because ARA is not supported via bridges. And Ardour doesn't support ARA too. Afaik only the Reaper knows about ARA on Linux, Waveform support's it on Win/Mac but i'm not sure about Linux.
Oh, wow, somebody is working on it! Any idea how usable it is right now?

Another question, as a newbie Bitwig user: does bitwig have such functionality built-in? I know Logic Pro has similar functionality as Melodyne, but how about Bitwig?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

tavasti wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:41 pm
Kott wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:26 am https://github.com/mika314/melonix it's not a plugin (I hope it will some day)

Melodyne works fine for me with Wine, but it works "offline", because ARA is not supported via bridges. And Ardour doesn't support ARA too. Afaik only the Reaper knows about ARA on Linux, Waveform support's it on Win/Mac but i'm not sure about Linux.
Oh, wow, somebody is working on it! Any idea how usable it is right now?

Another question, as a newbie Bitwig user: does bitwig have such functionality built-in? I know Logic Pro has similar functionality as Melodyne, but how about Bitwig?
Bitwig doesn't have anything resembling Autotune / Melodyne in it (I use GSnap myself). Their focus has been on the modular aspect of it and not on the effects / processing features. For example, they added an IR loader just a few months ago :?
Zonk
Established Member

Post by Zonk »

Hello WforWoollyMammoth,

As far as I know, Reapers ReaTune is the only pitch tool that can also be used professionally under Linux - at least halfway. Indeed, we're actually pretty damn lucky that Cockos/Reaper has such a functionality implemented. Otherwise I would have had to go back to Windows.

More than 2 years ago I asked celemony if they would make a linux melodyne but they gave me no hope. Nothing to be expected here ...

The melonix project looks promising but i can't imagine using it productively yet. If it should ever happen, I would also like to pay a reasonable price for it. We can hope for later.

Zonk

WforWoollyMammoth wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:11 pm
Zonk wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:48 pm I want to clarify a few things.

It's pretty cool that you started this thread. Without it I had not been aware that someone's actually working on a Melodyne-style FOSS product (as mentioned by Kott).

If the Reaper pitch correction plugin is sufficient for your needs then you probably should use Reaper for now. Otherwise, you might not be getting much done if you're used to certain type of workflow and other DAWs won't suit it. Considering that Melodyne has managed to occupy such a significant portion of the market share, and doesn't seem to have that many competitors, it is rather unlikely that some other company is going to put a similar product with a Linux version out anytime too soon. Come to think of it, we're actually pretty damn lucky that Reaper has such a functionality implemented.

Maintaining your workflow is important. Otherwise, you'll easily end up not getting much done if the FOSS software you'd like to use instead is just frustrating to use for you.
Natelok
Established Member

Post by Natelok »

X42 autotune has been enough for me, so far.

What I really want is a Sim of the mk5 DigiTech Whammy pedal!
Nate!

Music Nerd, Guitarist, Fixer of Things, DJ, currently employed by Donnybrook Balingup Community Radio (Station Manager & Drive Time DJ, Recording Engineer for a small attached studio for local artists)

DAW: Mixbus at home, Mixbus32C at work
peter.zenk
Established Member

Post by peter.zenk »

Slightly off-topic:
For pitch correction at only a small number of locations I use the built-in pitch tool in Ardour. I have full control how much to change. Easy to do while editing the vocals anyway, e. g. for level adaptions.
Save the planet - make music !
bmarkham
Established Member

Post by bmarkham »

It's certainly not optimal, but my workflow is ..

Record everything in ardour/linux.
Export the vocal tracks individually. Put them on a shared disk.
Boot up Windows, use Melodyne (which I love) to tweak. Export results back to share disk.
Boot up Linux/Ardour, import the tweaked audio back in. Then continue whatever I was doing.

Since that probably amounts to only 5% of the time and the other 95% is in Linux, it's not TOO bad.

My computer is setup with replaceable SSDs that I pop in and out on a tray. The bottom drive is shared between all OSs.
The top one I pop in various Linux distros customized for tasks, or Windows for when I am using Melodyne or Turbotax.
The shared drive on the bottom is just one way of doing it -- probably even better to use a small NAS.

Psyched to hear about Melonix!
vud1
Established Member

Post by vud1 »

I have been fighting with this problems several years too...

Recently, this week, i tried to install non-free windows vst plugins in linux with yabridge..

Melodyne (the trial download) seems to works fine. No errors, no sound "clicks".. all fine.

Waves tune seems to works fine too.. is cheaper than melodyne and i bought it (first vst plugin that i bought in my life). With the use i saw that there are a lot of wine errors that make noise in my sounds... so i have lost the money.

Melodyne seems to work stable. If i no found an alternative.. probably i will end up buying it.

skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

maybe this one?
https://liuanlin-mx.github.io
haven't tried it much myself, just checked that it loaded/worked..