recording in Rosegarden

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Disorder
Established Member

recording in Rosegarden

Post by Disorder »

Hello there (and beforehand sorry for my english). I need some help with Rosegarden.
When i try to record some audio i get captured sound mixed with output sound :(
How can i record clean input signal in audio track ? Can it be problem in Rosegarden mixer or may be in JACK (in JACK control "capture" only linked on "playback" and to Rosegarden's "record in 1")?
Thanks
Disorder
Established Member

Re: recording in Rosegarden

Post by Disorder »

Correction: it's not with Rosegarden. The same shit in Ardour.
So, where can be the problem?
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

hi there,

it's your soundcard setting. Open up the mixer app for (alsamixer or some other h/w mixer app) and tune it so you do not get this h/w + PCM mixing.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Hi Disorder. Forget Rosegarden and Ardour for a moment. Most probably the problem is at hardware level. Or else at jack level. Your soundcard could be doing some crappy mixing, so you should have to look at this before anything else.

My tips:

- Install an ALSA mixer like gamix and take a look in the audio card internal routes.
- In any case, don't connect the captures right to the playbacks when you want to record something. Instead, use the monitoring option that the programs have (I am not familiar with Rosegarden audio tracks but in ardour, you use Options->Monitoring->Ardour does monitoring) or else, at least provide monitoring ports to jack. This gives you latency. You can be fine with it or not. It depends on many factors including yourself.
- Tell us more so we can help you better. At least:

Distro and version
uname -r
lscpi |grep -i audio

Cheers! Pablo
Disorder
Established Member

Post by Disorder »

it helped. thanks! :)
thorgal wrote:hi there,

it's your soundcard setting. Open up the mixer app for (alsamixer or some other h/w mixer app) and tune it so you do not get this h/w + PCM mixing.
Disorder
Established Member

Post by Disorder »

Problem actualy was in ALSA level (in PCM Capture). Already fixed :)
Thanks to everybody for quick answers!
Pablo wrote:Hi Disorder. Forget Rosegarden and Ardour for a moment. Most probably the problem is at hardware level. Or else at jack level. Your soundcard could be doing some crappy mixing, so you should have to look at this before anything else.

My tips:

- Install an ALSA mixer like gamix and take a look in the audio card internal routes.
- In any case, don't connect the captures right to the playbacks when you want to record something. Instead, use the monitoring option that the programs have (I am not familiar with Rosegarden audio tracks but in ardour, you use Options->Monitoring->Ardour does monitoring) or else, at least provide monitoring ports to jack. This gives you latency. You can be fine with it or not. It depends on many factors including yourself.
- Tell us more so we can help you better. At least:

Distro and version
uname -r
lscpi |grep -i audio

Cheers! Pablo