Qtractor crashes

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

scott.thomason
Established Member

Qtractor crashes

Post by scott.thomason »

Hi all, hi @rncbc. I've been working on a project for a few days, everything was coming along, then just about an hour ago, Qtractor started crashing whenever I would 1) try to change the fore/background color of a track to a custom color (clicking on the palette), or 2) normalizing an audio clip. I was originally running Qtractor under NSM with Raysession, but I have since tried both with and without with the same result.

I'm not sure what to look for...can somebody point me in the right direction to get started debugging this?

---scott
---scott

LinkedIn
scott.thomason
Established Member

Re: Qtractor crashes

Post by scott.thomason »

...it also crashes with a brand-new project, too.

I'm on Manjaro, and the Qtractor version is the one from the official Manjaro repo, v0.9.26-2.
---scott

LinkedIn
scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

It also happens with the Flatpak.
---scott

LinkedIn
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Does it crash when you don a ballerini tutu and dance the last act of Swan Lake wearing a hockey mask like Jason in "Friday the 13th"?

Consult the QTractor manual chapter 13 - "Configuring JACK and other satanic rituals".

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:08 am Does it crash when you don a ballerini tutu and dance the last act of Swan Lake wearing a hockey mask like Jason in "Friday the 13th"?
Yes. It crashes then, too.
---scott

LinkedIn
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Start Qtractor from a terminal and see if any error messages eventuate.
scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

sunrat wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:12 am Start Qtractor from a terminal and see if any error messages eventuate.
Only

Code: Select all

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
I don't see a core file anywhere, though.
---scott

LinkedIn
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

scott.thomason wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:21 am Hi all, hi @rncbc. I've been working on a project for a few days, everything was coming along, then just about an hour ago, Qtractor started crashing whenever I would 1) try to change the fore/background color of a track to a custom color (clicking on the palette),
I've had the same (sort of) prob problem w/ Qtractor. See this LM topic. Appeared to be incompatibility w/ XFCE. Workarounds:
  • manually edit the .qtr file
  • use another desktop environment to change colors
scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:19 am I've had the same (sort of) prob problem w/ Qtractor. See this LM topic. Appeared to be incompatibility w/ XFCE. Workarounds:
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into a non-Gnome/Gtk theme. I made sure I tested with the "Use desktop environment native dialogs" both on and off, and it crashes either way.

While in View > Options, I unchecked the "Capture STDOUT" option, figuring that might allow any output to make it to the terminal, and it did:

Code: Select all

(process:60734): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 10:52:00.484: _gtk_style_provider_private_get_settings: assertion 'GTK_IS_STYLE_PROVIDER_PRIVATE (provider)' failed

(process:60734): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 10:52:00.484: _gtk_style_provider_private_get_settings: assertion 'GTK_IS_STYLE_PROVIDER_PRIVATE (provider)' failed

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
So maybe it is indeed a desktop environment issue. Funny that it worked OK in Mint, though.

Does this error give anyone more clues about what's going wrong?
---scott

LinkedIn
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

not going into any meltdown whatsoever, but since gnome3 come along, its color picker is a dang nightmare for non-gtk2,3,4+ apps
scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

Googling the error message "_gtk_style_provider_private_get_settings: assertion 'GTK_IS_STYLE_PROVIDER_PRIVATE (provider)' failed" lead me to a solution at https://forum.manjaro.org/t/qt5ct-crash ... e/81957/11. It solved the first problem, that of crashing when trying to open the color selector to change the color of a track. For the record, all I had to do was delete folder ~/.config/qt5ct, which also had the pleasant effect of getting rid of that dark theme.

However, I still get the crash when I try to normalize a .wav clip, and there is no output on the terminal besides the core dump message. Is there an environment variable or something I can set to get more info out of Qt perhaps?
---scott

LinkedIn
scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

rncbc wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:10 pm not going into any meltdown whatsoever, but since gnome3 come along, its color picker is a dang nightmare for non-gtk2,3,4+ apps
Ah, I'll try a non-gtk theme just to prevent any future incompatibilities. For now, I've solved that issue by deleting ~/.config/qt5ct (and qt6ct for good measure).

Do you have any idea what might be causing the crash on normalize?
---scott

LinkedIn
scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:19 am I've had the same (sort of) prob problem w/ Qtractor. See this LM topic. Appeared to be incompatibility w/ XFCE. Workarounds:
What kind of edits did you make to the .qtr file, and what impact did they have?

What DE did you switch to for it to work?

Thanks...
---scott

LinkedIn
scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

Ah, I see the .qtr file is just XML. I can handle changing the colors there, and it will avoid changing Manjaro Gnome edition over to something Qt-ish. Thanks again.
---scott

LinkedIn
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

scott.thomason wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:41 pm Do you have any idea what might be causing the crash on normalize?
idk (rly) but perhaps try the latest snapshot from git?