QTractor: tempo changes on its own and can't export properly

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Carotino
Established Member

QTractor: tempo changes on its own and can't export properly

Post by Carotino »

Hi.
I've been using Qtractor for the last couple of week and I noticed these two things.

1) The first bar is 78 2/4, from the second bar it's 78 4/4. Then I have another tempo change later in the project. Sometimes, randomly, the second bar becomes 78 2/4. Can't tell what it's related to, honestly, it looks random to me.

2) I'm not sure how to export the whole project. If I export audio tracks, then the midi tracks with a plugin are not exported. I ended up recording the session with Audacity. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks
scott.thomason
Established Member

Re: QTractor: tempo changes on its own and can't export properly

Post by scott.thomason »

You may have better luck getting an answer by posting at https://www.rncbc.org/drupal/forum/9.
---scott

LinkedIn
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Carotino wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:26 pm 1) The first bar is 78 2/4, from the second bar it's 78 4/4. Then I have another tempo change later in the project. Sometimes, randomly, the second bar becomes 78 2/4. Can't tell what it's related to, honestly, it looks random to me.
try to disable jack-transport input by setting its mode to "None" or "Master" only.
TL;DR: https://github.com/rncbc/qtractor/issues/325
Carotino wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:26 pm 2) I'm not sure how to export the whole project. If I export audio tracks, then the midi tracks with a plugin are not exported. I ended up recording the session with Audacity. Is there something I'm missing?
are you sure the MIDI track has an instrument plugin (one that produces audio) at least? external instruments won't render anything to export audio tracks from qtractor.

hth.
cheers
Carotino
Established Member

Post by Carotino »

Ok, I'll try to disable jack transport.

The MIDI setup is indeed a little convoluted. I have two MIDI tracks that plays the same instruments, on a third track.
The two MIDI tracks outputs to a MIDI output bus, let's call it piano-out.
Then, I have another MIDI bus, piano-in, in duplex mode with monitoring activated (both in bus view and in the mixer, I don't know if they are the same).
There is then a MIDI track that has, as input, piano-in, and master as piano out. On this track I have the instrument, whose output is on master audio bus.

By the way, if there is a simpler way to get two midi tracks play the same instrument, it'd be well appreciated.

Thanks for the answers.
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Carotino wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:50 pmBy the way, if there is a simpler way to get two midi tracks play the same instrument, it'd be well appreciated
insert the instrument plugin in the MIDI output bus those MIDI tracks converge to

cheers
Carotino
Established Member

Post by Carotino »

Well you're right! Thanks a lot, and thanks for Qtractor too!
tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@Carotino
The first bar is 78 2/4, from the second bar it's 78 4/4
That sounds like the first bar is really a "pickup", and would more typically be scored as 78 BPM 4/4 with the two pickup beats in an incomplete first measure. In pretty much any DAW, rather than introducing the (artificial) 78 BPM 2/4 first measure, it would be simpler just to have 78 BPM 4/4 for the whole piece and start recording at the third beat of the first bar. You can then trim off the two beats of silence when rendering to audio.
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
Carotino
Established Member

Post by Carotino »

Yes it's a pickup, you're right. It was in the MIDI file I imported, and I left it as I found it.
Is there a way to insert some space before the beginning of a track? I can select all and then move the tracks, but the automation is not included in the selection and it doesn't move with the tracks.
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Edit > Insert > Range... (or Track Range...)
Carotino
Established Member

Post by Carotino »

Thanks @rncbc !