Headroom

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Chipfryer
Established Member

Re: Headroom

Post by Chipfryer »

Oh boy.
I'm going to do this mixing stuff in Linux anyway now. I still do have the USB speaker problem. I noticed on boot I got a message saying usb device would not accept address but that could be my usb dongle?
The speakers do work as they do on windows but just like windows won't work for recording. I wish I'd never seen them to be honest. :?

They only work under OSS from control panel. Trying to use Alsa just throws up connection errors. :cry: I've got Aqualung as Pablo suggested but qualung did not show up in connections in Jack this time either. Just another day in paradise. One day when I'm rich and famous I'll have a really decent huge pair of monitors and a nice big fat cigar. But until that time I'll just sit and look at it not working, hahahahaha :mrgreen:
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

Chipfryer wrote:I still do have the USB speaker problem. I noticed on boot I got a message saying usb device would not accept address but that could be my usb dongle?
Every time I've seen the "device not accepting address message" it's been something motherboard/BIOS related. My company used to buy Appro hardware that would always do that when USB harddrives were plugged in. The only workaround at the time was to disable USB 2.0 and run the devices at super slow USB 1.1 speeds. I believe a BIOS update was released later on to fix that. The Toshiba laptop I just bought does the same thing for any USB device. There are a variety of options and incantations to give the kernel at bootup time to get around it.
spm_gl
Established Member

Post by spm_gl »

Do your monitors have an additional analog or digital input? Then you could simply skip the usb problems.
I'm a lucky bugger with huge decent monitors, but I don't smoke cigars (yet).
--- Spreemusik ---
Jan Fuchsmann, Audio Engineer
Check our blog at http://www.spreemusik.com/blog
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Hahahahahaha :D
No :cry:

spm_gl wrote:Do your monitors have an additional analog or digital input? Then you could simply skip the usb problems.
I'm a lucky bugger with huge decent monitors, but I don't smoke cigars (yet).
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Actually I just read that you can adapt the cable running from the speakers to line ins? I've never taken apart a USB so I'll have to find an old cord but that just may solve all of my problems?

Will let you know.
Thanks for the replies.
spm_gl
Established Member

Post by spm_gl »

I don't quite understand what you are about to do to a poor USB cable...

According to the Samson website, the Studiodock speakers have a 3.5mm Input jack at the front, so you could connect them to the line-out of your soundcard (if you have one).
--- Spreemusik ---
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Oh dear.
Yes you are right about that. :D
There are two on my set. 1 Aux, the other Headphones.
Are you suggesting the headphone output please?

spm_gl wrote:I don't quite understand what you are about to do to a poor USB cable...
According to the Samson website, the Studiodock speakers have a 3.5mm Input jack at the front, so you could connect them to the line-out of your soundcard (if you have one).
spm_gl
Established Member

Post by spm_gl »

No, the Aux is an input. So you'll probably need a cable with 2 3.5mm jacks, which you plug into the line out of the soundcard, and the aux (in) of the monitors. No more usb hassles then.
--- Spreemusik ---
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Thanks Spm.
I do have that too so I'll give it a whirl. I sorry....... software bugs me so much sometimes though I know we all use it. And then something simple like a cable is a fix. :mrgreen:
Thanks very much for your help.

spm_gl wrote:No, the Aux is an input. So you'll probably need a cable with 2 3.5mm jacks, which you plug into the line out of the soundcard, and the aux (in) of the monitors. No more usb hassles then.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

do you have the Studio-docks?

looked on the page, they have RCA-Inputs on the back, use them instaed.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

by the way, if you have a decent soundcard, you shouldn't use the usb-entry either, as the soundcard D/A-Converters probably are way better then those of this (so called) monitors. So use the RCA-Entries.
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Thanks people.
I really don't think I am on the right planet at the moment. :shock: It doesn't matter in any case since for some reason JAMin isn't opening and Jack won't see Aqualung. I think I'll take a break from trying to master for a while? It seems like every time I'm at the door it just slams on my face again. :D

Thanks again, sorry for appearing to be a really stupid person.
Best.
Chippy.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

Sometimes we want to many things at the same time, what makes us to not see some obvious things.
I learned the following (for IT as for songwriting/producing): at the point when you don't seam to make any progress in any process, leave it alone for a while, concentrate on another thing. After that go back and you will see things from different angels (don't know if it is undestandable - i can't write good)
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

I think your English is way better than my Brazilian, of that I'm certain.
You are right. Sometimes just better to walk away and let it be for a while. Very kind words, thank you.

Capoeira wrote:Sometimes we want to many things at the same time, what makes us to not see some obvious things.
I learned the following (for IT as for songwriting/producing): at the point when you don't seam to make any progress in any process, leave it alone for a while, concentrate on another thing. After that go back and you will see things from different angels (don't know if it is undestandable - i can't write good)