We need a basic help for Seq66

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

digitsun
Established Member

We need a basic help for Seq66

Post by digitsun »

I've tried to use Seq66, but I found really strange for noobies. I can write some notes and play it with Carla (when I load a synth). But I can't connect my midi keyboard and I don't understand the logic and the workflow of Seq66.

Seq66 has a continuous development and is the powerful fork of Seq24.

Can someone write a basic info about Seq66? or Is there a basic tutorial on the web?
folderol
Established Member

Re: We need a basic help for Seq66

Post by folderol »

I think Chris Ahlstrom (the developer) has written a guide on it. Try contacting him.
ahlstromcj@gmail.com
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Here it is https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ahlst ... manual.pdf

I didn't realise there was one either, it's not linked from the help menu. :?
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Largos wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:56 am it's not linked from the help menu. :?
If it's probably a good idea, it's probably a good idea to create an issue suggesting it :)

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Basic help HTML and PDF link now available in the Help menu https://github.com/ahlstromcj/seq66/iss ... 1135007029

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Finally couldn't suppress my curiosity so I tried to compile it. Got only this in the terminal:

Code: Select all

$ ./configure 
configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in aux-files "."/aux-files
Now I know again why I swore never to use software that ain't in the standard repo's of my distro. LOL. :D
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:01 am Finally couldn't suppress my curiosity so I tried to compile it. Got only this in the terminal:

$ ./configure 
configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in aux-files "."/aux-files
Now I know again why I swore never to use software that ain't in the standard repo's of my distro. LOL. :D
Did you follow the instructions in the INSTALL file?

There are a few methods described there, I followed this one:

Out-of-source Build:

./bootstrap --full-clean
./bootstrap
mkdir build
cd build
../configure --enable-rtmidi --enable-nsm
make -j 4
sudo make install 
Just make sure to install the needed packages.

-  libasound2-dev
      -  libjack-jackd2-dev
      -  liblo-dev (needed for NSM/OSC support, but not optional)
      -  libpng-dev (replaces libpng12-dev with libpng16, latest Debian Sid,
         and brings in libpng-tools)
      -  libpthread (normally already included in a Linux distro)

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

LAM wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:08 am
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:01 am Finally couldn't suppress my curiosity so I tried to compile it. Got only this in the terminal:

$ ./configure 
Did you follow the instructions in the INSTALL file?
Yes. It says to do ye' olde ./configure. However the readme is quite large and I didn't bother to read on. My bad. Anyway, I succeeded in compiling both the cli and gui version. But no (html) manual if I click on Help.

Does anybody know how the cli version works? Maybe I can use it on a Raspberry Pi. Can seq66 also work without Jack?
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:16 pm But no (html) manual if I click on Help.
The documentation requires doxygen and/or some other package and has to be built.
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:16 pm Does anybody know how the cli version works? Maybe I can use it on a Raspberry Pi. Can seq66 also work without Jack?
Never tried the cli version, however it should be able to run with ALSA.

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

When you need a manual telling you how to install the manual
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Largos wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:15 pm When you need a manual telling you how to install the manual
:lol:

ahlstromcj
Established Member

Post by ahlstromcj »

Seq66 author here. I saw these posts here awhile ago and so I added an HTML tutorial. Added a Help to reach it, it looks for the installed tutorial files. There is now also a menu entry to bring up the long PDF user manual, also installed. I haven't tested this yet in the Windows version, though. Not a high priority.

Also now have a GitHub IO site to host this stuff as well: https://ahlstromcj.github.io/.

The PDF is generated using LaTeX, but you don't have to build it; I update it with every release.

Good luck!

Chris
ahlstromcj
Established Member

Post by ahlstromcj »

I also pushed a new version 0.98.9.1 to figure that ./configure issue mentioned above. I forget to add some necessary scripts to the aux-files directory. So now a ./bootstrap isn't necessary, and the season GNU/Linux user won't be surprised by a failure in ./configure. Man, I sure pull some bonehead moves now and then!
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

ahlstromcj wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:36 pm Seq66 author here. I saw these posts here awhile ago and so I added an HTML tutorial. Added a Help to reach it, it looks for the installed tutorial files. There is now also a menu entry to bring up the long PDF user manual, also installed. I haven't tested this yet in the Windows version, though. Not a high priority.

Also now have a GitHub IO site to host this stuff as well: https://ahlstromcj.github.io/.

The PDF is generated using LaTeX, but you don't have to build it; I update it with every release.

Good luck!

Chris
Thanks for the PDF manual. It's very extensive! I'm especially interested in using seq66cli (command line version of Seq66) so I can use my Raspberry Pi as a sequencer. I'm gonna have to study the manual.

One question: does Seq66 work without Jack and with Alsa only? My old Pi doesn't work well with Jack.
ahlstromcj
Established Member

Post by ahlstromcj »

To run with ALSA and not JACK, add the "--alsa" option to the command line. This is written to the appropriate 'rc' file in ~/.config/seq66 when the app exits, so it will be remembered for the next run.

If you want to run seq66cli, you will first have to prep a MIDI controller configuration first. You can put a file-name on the command-line as the last argument. But if you want to work with more than one MIDI file, you will need to set up a 'playlist' file.

There are sample files in /usr/share/seq66-0.98/linux and /usr/share/seq66-0.98/samples, etc. (or "/usr/local").

Note that the 'ctrl' file has an entry for "Save Session".

It's been awhile since I've tested seq66cli, so let me know of bugs. Or if the documentation needs improvement.

By the way, one user has set up the Qt version to run on a Pi as part of his "Eurorack". He has far more equipment than I do!

Oh, you can also disable JACK, JACK Session, and JACK Transport in the build... see the ./configure --help options. Again, haven't tried that for awhile, will have to check for breakage.