Is anyone using Waveform 12?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tywjohn
Established Member

Is anyone using Waveform 12?

Post by tywjohn »

Hi all
I'm using the latest AV Linux and was recently trialling Waveform 11 (I'm a big fan of Ardour but was wanting something with better MIDI capabilities). Waveform 11 was quite crashy on Linux but it was rock solid when I disabled the experimental audio engine.
Anyway, I decided buy Waveform 12 when it was released recently but it too now is quite crashy. There is no option to disable the experimental audio engine in 12. I guess it's just the default and no longer considered experimental but performs really poorly on Linux.

I'm curious if anyone has tried Waveform 12 on Linux or even if they had any luck with Waveform 11 with the experimental audio driver. Maybe there is some tweak to the system I can do to make it more stable.

I've tried using both jack and alsa to no avail. Doesn't seem to matter what plugins I use either. It will just randomly freeze up entirely, with or without plugin sandboxing enabled.

It's very disappointing. Now that I've purchased it I feel obligated to use it, but to use it I have to use windows which I'm not too happy about.
Kott
Established Member

Re: Is anyone using Waveform 12?

Post by Kott »

Hi,

I can say that WF12 isn't more crashy than WF11, especially the latest 11.5.18. At least vsts that kills 12 does it for 11 too.
Does it crash with some vsts only, and which ones? Or in general workflow?
tywjohn
Established Member

Post by tywjohn »

Seems to be just general workflow and not any plugin in particular. Suddenly the whole DAW will freeze and sit at 100% CPU until I kill it. Sometimes it doesn't completely freeze but it will stop playing any sound.

What distro are you using?
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

openSUSE TW

What rendering is selected? OpenGL seems far more buggy, I'm using "Software".
tywjohn
Established Member

Post by tywjohn »

I have to use software also. OpenGL is useless.
I will see how it runs on opensuse TW. Do you use the geekos repositories or is that no longer required?
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

tywjohn wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:34 am I have to use software also. OpenGL is useless.
I will see how it runs on opensuse TW. Do you use the geekos repositories or is that no longer required?
it's multimedia:proaudio now https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... a:proaudio (I'm one of maintainers)
Is there a clear steps to reproduce WF12 crashes?
tywjohn
Established Member

Post by tywjohn »

I've just installed openSUSE so I will test them both side by side and see if I can reliably reproduce the issue in AVL.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Haven't used 12, but some amount 11. With that, I get constantly freeze with following seq:
- make new track, and select EDM template
- put track playing, and scroll-zoom-etc (tried to find how zoom-pan-etc with various scrollwheel + buttons combinations)
Result is UI freeze, song will still continue playing. Tried this few times, seems to be happening every time.

In general, I somehow find working with midi editing in Waveform somehow clunky. Needing to to undo all the time, and moving around does not work as I would need. I assume it is partially because I am used to Mixbus/Ardour way. I tried to look settings, but apparently there is no such possibility that I could have both vertical and horizontal scroll with mouse wheel, depending on what modifiers using?

But yeah, haven't used Waveform enough to be fluent on it, but on the other hand, not sure will I

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

tywjohn
Established Member

Post by tywjohn »

I haven't had the same problem on tumbleweed so I think I'll just stick with that for now. If I had to guess, I would say it might be something to do with the liquorix kernel on AVL but I don't really feel like getting to the bottom of it.