syncing loops

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

chimples
Established Member

syncing loops

Post by chimples »

Hi all,

I've been using hydrogen to play my drum loops and then trying to layer up melodies over the top by recording myself playing it with sooperlooper. The trouble is i cant get the melody to sync up with the drums, as if its even a fraction of a second too long/short then it slips out more and more over time.

Is there anyway that i can stretch or shorten my loops accurately or to automate sooperlooper to record a specific amount of time?

I'm open to using a different programme if there is better looping software out there

Cheers.
mixtape
Established Member

Re: syncing loops

Post by mixtape »

Dave Phillips wrote a two-part article called "Loop-based Music Composition With Linux" a few years ago for Linux Journal. It might be a little dated now, but it's still a good read. The second article goes into time-stretching. I've linked to it below, hope that it helps.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000304
http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000315
StudioDave
Established Member

Re: syncing loops

Post by StudioDave »

mixtape wrote:Dave Phillips wrote a two-part article called "Loop-based Music Composition With Linux" a few years ago for Linux Journal. It might be a little dated now...
Thanks for pointing to my articles, and yes, they might still be useful to the OP, but I'd like to mention that those particular articles are not concerned with live performance loopers such as SooperLooper. However, I'm working on such an article now in which I'll profile SooperLooper, Freewheeling, and Kluppe. I wanted to add LoopDub to the list but I can't get it to compile on any of my systems.

I'll also be reviewing the arpeggiators Arpage, QMidiArp, and Hypercyclic.

And on a related note, I'll soon review the latest release of Rosegarden. RG includes some nice tools for working with loops. Not surprising since one of the principal authors also wrote the RubberBand time-stretch utility.

Best,

dp