Has anyone been able to compile Zrythm on Debian 11?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

miuzik
Established Member

Has anyone been able to compile Zrythm on Debian 11?

Post by miuzik »

I tried to compile Zrythm on Debian 11, but a lot of dependencies missing, in the instruction file for installation the author doesn't specify the dependencies for Debian. So, has anyone been able to compile Zrythm on Debian 11?
tseaver
Established Member

Re: Has anyone been able to compile Zrythm on Debian 11?

Post by tseaver »

A good first pass would be to install the dependencies listed in the INSTALL doc https://github.com/zrythm/zrythm/blob/m ... NSTALL.rst, using `-dev` suffixes (so that header files are installed, along with the libraries themselves).

You will likely need to hack around with something like this to figure out the spellings:

Code: Select all

$ apt-cache search libwhatever
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
miuzik
Established Member

Post by miuzik »

Now I'm sticking with the sass dependency. I installed the next packages: sassc, libsass1. The meson log don't tell me the version or something, so I don't know what happen here.
novalix
Established Member

Post by novalix »

Hi,

usually the log should contain lines stating which exact file/s is/are missing. Something like:

Could not find /usr/lib/$HeaderFileName.h
or

Missing file /usr/bin/$ExecutableName
On a Debian system you could use a tool like "apt-file" to find out, if there exists a certain file in the repositories at all and - if so - which package holds that file.

apt* install apt-file
apt-file update
apt-file search $AbsolutePath/$CompleteFileName
miuzik
Established Member

Post by miuzik »

novalix wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:06 pm Hi,

usually the log should contain lines stating which exact file/s is/are missing. Something like:

Could not find /usr/lib/$HeaderFileName.h
or

Missing file /usr/bin/$ExecutableName
On a Debian system you could use a tool like "apt-file" to find out, if there exists a certain file in the repositories at all and - if so - which package holds that file.

apt* install apt-file
apt-file update
apt-file search $AbsolutePath/$CompleteFileName
In meson-logs I have this line:

Program sass found: NO
Nothing related to the version or name of packages.
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Had a quick look at the git. One thing I see is that it uses GTK4 which is not available in bullseye packages. It would have to be compiled and installed manually before you can start trying to compile Zrythm. Not a trivial process in itself.

Beyond that, not sure. It has a lot of build dependencies for sure. Probably most can be met with debian packages.
Last edited by bluzee on Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

The prebuilt binary appears to work on Bullseye. Well, opens at least and can select sound in and out. I didn't have time to test it further. Need to pay a small amount if you actually want to save sessions though.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

sunrat wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:00 am The prebuilt binary appears to work on Bullseye. Well, opens at least and can select sound in and out. I didn't have time to test it further. Need to pay a small amount if you actually want to save sessions though.
Hmmm, interesting..

The subscriber version Deb doesn't run on my system (bullseye-based) due to a GTK4 error but surely it's not looking for GTK4 on the system.. What distro even ships with GTK4 right now?? Waiting to get clarification from the developer..
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Bookworm and Sid so likely have to wait for Debian 12. Ubuntu 21.04 and up. Arch linux
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

GMaq wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:52 pm
sunrat wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:00 am The prebuilt binary appears to work on Bullseye. Well, opens at least and can select sound in and out. I didn't have time to test it further. Need to pay a small amount if you actually want to save sessions though.
Hmmm, interesting..

The subscriber version Deb doesn't run on my system (bullseye-based) due to a GTK4 error but surely it's not looking for GTK4 on the system.. What distro even ships with GTK4 right now?? Waiting to get clarification from the developer..
I'm just using the trial and have NFI what I'm doing but managed to start it and add ZynSubFX and Black Pearl tracks and get sound from them although correct function of the piano roll still eludes me. Plugged in my old Novation Nocturn keyboard and it shows in the Preferences menu for MIDI controller but didn't seem to be selectable. No Zrythm MIDI inputs show in Qjackctl graph but that's probably a fail on my part again because I have virtually zero experience in recording MIDI but am endlessly curious. :roll: :mrgreen:
The GUI is rather annoying as text size is adjustable and fine (UHD Hi-dpi monitor) but tool icons are tiny and I couldn't see a preference that works to change that.
Bottom line is the trial binary works for me on Bullseye and sound comes out. Definitely no GTK4 packages installed. Other function fails I encountered were likely PEBCAK.