Mastering - Ok getting there now.

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Chipfryer
Established Member

Mastering - Ok getting there now.

Post by Chipfryer »

Firstly thanks for a very useful, friendly and very grounded forum once again. :wink:
What are my options for mastering please?

I've found Audacity to be great for general mule work but what about the finer points? EQ's, levels and such?
I'm not fully there due to some remaining problems but it would be fantastic to say that it was mastered under Linux.

Thanks folks.

Chippy.
qharley
Established Member

Re: Mastering - Ok getting there now.

Post by qharley »

http://www.64studio.com/howto-mastering

This is one of the ways to do it right. Remember that music is unique, and that mastering is also specific to a certain piece of music. There exist "presets" but there are no "one size fits all solutions. It's actually one size fits one, and in the case of some presets, one size fits none...

Have fun!
Q
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Thanks Q,
Yeah I saw that. Thanks again for the reply I'll see where I get with it.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Completely turn down the volume of each monitor and make sure they are off or muted
How is your setup, how do you manage the volume of each monitor (monitor=speaker, right?)?

There seems to be a lot of things which influences the volume, envy24control, jack_mixer, amp volume control, (preamp volume control), software app volume control...

How do you manage this well?

And how is headroom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headroom_% ... cessing%29) related to this?

I'm very much interested in the 'preventing ear fatique/damage part'

edit: btw when you say
83dB SPL is the highest continuous sound pressure level, scientifically shown not to cause excessive fatigue and hearing loss while exposed for prolonged times.
I would think you keep the volume something below it.... but the howto says
Unmute or switch on the first monitor and increase it's volume until the SPL meter reads 83dB. Mute again.
Is there a way to limit the max volume of your setup?

edit2: Can't you use japa for that pink noise?
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Sorry Studio missed this.
I'm working from a pair of rubbish speakers at the moment. What I do for the present time is mentally scratch off what I can hear through phones and speakers when listening to a commercial CD then quickly switch back.

On my latest effort there are peaks that I don't hear in the room but when mixed down to mp3 these sound wailing. :D I'll have a look at the programs you suggested. Thanks Studio.
qharley
Established Member

Post by qharley »

studio32 wrote: How is your setup, how do you manage the volume of each monitor (monitor=speaker, right?)?
How do you manage this well?
I use powered monitors, and they have individual volume controls at the back. This should be the same if you use passives with a monitor amp, because each channel should be individually adjustable.

The main idea here is to limit the levels of control between the master output of your mastering interface or DAW and your monitors. You want to have a fixed relationship between a certain level of output on your master bus, and the volume of the sound emitting from the monitors.

I also have an extra level of volume control, but I made a mark on my monitor output level controller on my mixer, so that I can check a mix at different levels (especially softer) but that I can return to the calibrated levels easily by just returning the knob to the defined position.
And how is headroom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headroom_% ... cessing%29) related to this?
It has almost everything to do with this. We keep forgetting that our ears are also just a very sophisticated sound system, with threshold levels. Lower than a certain level is not perceivable, and louder than a certain level causes pain and/or damage. In order to maximise the dynamic range we can hear, it is best to keep within these guidelines. Remember that with this set-up your peaks will still be higher than 83dB, but the long time average levels should be below this level if you calibrated it the way described in my how-to.
I'm very much interested in the 'preventing ear fatique/damage part'
You want to work at a level where you do not have to strain yourself to hear things, but you also do not want to tire your ears with too loud sounds. If you set it up like this you will find that you can work for longer stretches without having to take an ear break. Mix engineers work against time. If you can do more in less time, you will impress more clients, and word of mouth will bring in more business, which will necessitate you to raise your fees :wink:
edit: btw when you say
83dB SPL is the highest continuous sound pressure level, scientifically shown not to cause excessive fatigue and hearing loss while exposed for prolonged times.
I would think you keep the volume something below it.... but the howto says
Unmute or switch on the first monitor and increase it's volume until the SPL meter reads 83dB. Mute again.
Is there a way to limit the max volume of your setup?
I think I answered this question above. It is not the peaks that kills ears, but the continuous barrage of sound that will. Sure, if you have high peaks above 100dB you will sustain damage, but keeping the average at 83dB and keeping your music on the K14 scale target will protect your most valuable asset as a mix / master engineer. K14 sets the average level 14dB below the maximum level. The maximum level that can be emitted from your monitors will then theoretically be around 100dB (97dB times 2) which is very very loud, but still safe.
edit2: Can't you use japa for that pink noise?
You can use what you want, but the pink noise I supplied is calibrated to the K14 scale in loudness. If your monitors are calibrated to this K14 pink noise played full scale out of your DAW, your DAW is also calibrated to the playback monitors, so that your end results will be transferable to any high quality playback system, with the same dynamic range. You may think of it as wheel alignment and balancing on your car. You do it to prolong the life of your tyres, but in the end you positively influence the ease of driving and the safety of your car as well

Hope it helps!
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

QHarley
I've read through this extensively, thanks very much for posting it.
The biggest drawback I have is not having proper monitors. I don't suppose there is a workaround for that?

Anyway thanks again.
spm_gl
Established Member

Post by spm_gl »

No, I'm afraid there is no workaround for having decent monitors. Without, it's a bit like trying to colour-grade a film on a black&white television.
The 83dB (actually 85, but the two channels add) is not only about protecting your ears. It is also the volume at which your hearing is the most linear. You need to calibrate your listening chain, in order to judge and compare loudness levels. Louder always seems to sound better, so it's important to have a set reference level.
--- Spreemusik ---
Jan Fuchsmann, Audio Engineer
Check our blog at http://www.spreemusik.com/blog
qharley
Established Member

Post by qharley »

spm_gl wrote: The 83dB (actually 85, but the two channels add) is not only about protecting your ears. It is also the volume at which your hearing is the most linear.
Exactly.
maghoxfr
Established Member

Post by maghoxfr »

Everywhere I read they use Jammin for mastering.

http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/about.html
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Finally after clearing out and re-installing mint I have the latest version installed. I can now play with this.
How is everyone doing? Sorry for the long absense.
Best.