Using an Electronic drum kit..?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

FuneralQueen

Using an Electronic drum kit..?

Post by FuneralQueen »

I've already posted this on the Ubuntu forums - but I figured this is a better place to ask! :)

Basically I'm considering converting my PC (currently running XP) into a Linux-only system - BUT my only concern is being able to still use my electronic drum kit.

I have 2 "brains" for my kit (Alesis & Medeli) and currently use Superior Drummer/Drum kit from Hell.

If I do end up using Linux completely - will I still be able to utilize my electronic kit properly? I want to be able to replicate realistic, organic drum kit sounds.. I record metal/neo-folk kind of music so "realistic" drums are very important to me.

Anyone with experience or advice would be greatly appreciated!
:)
roaldz
Established Member

Re: Using an Electronic drum kit..?

Post by roaldz »

You could try Hydrogen in windows. If it fit's you, its there in Linux:)
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Hi you mean like this video? I mean your kit and Superior Drummer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-9YYiYyMG4

I'm pretty certain you can use Hydrogen if you can set up your kit as a midi controller? I fully recommend Hydrogen too, its completely logical, working through time pieces and has great sounds too if you just wanted to program the drums?

Hydrogen in Windows is a little fickle and sometimes crashes. Drum imports don't work that well either you have to do that manually. Simply put it works great on Linux and is Beta on Windows. You can write your piece convert to wave and import that for now until you are more familiar with Linux if you setup a Linux partition on your hard drive.

Perhaps someone else will offer a word of advice too?
Hope this helps?
Yeri
Established Member

Post by Yeri »

Hi,

I'm using hydrogen with my e-drum since a year ago or so and I'm satisfied with the software.
Another thing are the sounds you want to use. At the beginning it was hard for me to find some drum kit sounds which liked me. I finally purchased ones from http://www.analoguedrums.com/ that sound great. Hydrogen has a very intuitive gui, so it's not difficult to create layered hydrogen drumkits from the drum sounds you get elsewhere. If you want further tweaking, the latest version comes with embedded effects processor, so you can add effects or (as in the linux way) you can use external programs connected to the hydrogen output such as jconv(?) (http://ladish.org/download/ladish-0.2-video.avi), jack rack, or even ardour, ... (hydrogen allows you to create separate per-instrument output in the preferences which is useful to apply effects with external apps to each instrument separately). So my recommendations are: (1) use hydrogen, and (2) get some drumkit sounds that you like (layered).

have fun,

Gerard.
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Yeri you master. Thanks so much for posting this link.
Keep well Yeri. :mrgreen:
Yeri wrote:Hi,

I'm using hydrogen with my e-drum since a year ago or so and I'm satisfied with the software.
Another thing are the sounds you want to use. At the beginning it was hard for me to find some drum kit sounds which liked me. I finally purchased ones from http://www.analoguedrums.com/ that sound great. Hydrogen has a very intuitive gui, so it's not difficult to create layered hydrogen drumkits from the drum sounds you get elsewhere. If you want further tweaking, the latest version comes with embedded effects processor, so you can add effects or (as in the linux way) you can use external programs connected to the hydrogen output such as jconv(?) (http://ladish.org/download/ladish-0.2-video.avi), jack rack, or even ardour, ... (hydrogen allows you to create separate per-instrument output in the preferences which is useful to apply effects with external apps to each instrument separately). So my recommendations are: (1) use hydrogen, and (2) get some drumkit sounds that you like (layered).

have fun,

Gerard.
mauser
Established Member

Post by mauser »

Hi Yeri!

Are we allowed to distribute the link to your video at the hydrogen mailing list, wiki etc. ? That should be very interesting for most of the hydrogen users!
Yeri
Established Member

Post by Yeri »

mauser wrote:Hi Yeri!

Are we allowed to distribute the link to your video at the hydrogen mailing list, wiki etc. ? That should be very interesting for most of the hydrogen users!
Hi mauser,

of course, this video is publicly available from the ladi session handler site, so I assume that these guys don't have any inconvenient in getting their video distributed. I actually discovered it in this Studio32's thread about ladish.

Best regards,

Gerard.