qtractor lost sound

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sebigbos
Established Member

qtractor lost sound

Post by sebigbos »

Hi,

I started to use qtractor yesterday. I use it to play midi files. I only had to choose an sf2 in "instruments" and my imported midi files played.

Today there is no sound output any more. I already searched for hours, un- and re-installed qtractor, but nothing. There are no error messages and jack is running.

Has anybody an idea where to look?
sebigbos
Established Member

Re: qtractor lost sound

Post by sebigbos »

perhaps can anybody give me an answer to some general questions.

When I have a bus master midi, which is configurated by default, without installing a synth plugin in "output plugins" and when choose a sounfont in "instruments", will qtractor then play the soundfont using an internal synth plugin? I think I it was configured like this in the beginning and this worked.

I get an output sound now, when I route "Calf fluidsynth" in "Busses/Master Midi out/output plugins" and assign a soundfont there. But this only works for a specific *.qtr file, not for default.

When I try to assign a synth plugin in the mixer window, right clicking the field under master out, I can choose a soundfont there but I don get an output and if I look wether the soundfont is still there, it isn' t. Perhaps could this be a problem with file rights, for example of some config files of qtractor?

Hopefully waiting for professional help here, guys!
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

sebigbos wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:25 am When I have a bus master midi, which is configurated by default, without installing a synth plugin in "output plugins" and when choose a sounfont in "instruments", will qtractor then play the soundfont using an internal synth plugin? I think I it was configured like this in the beginning and this worked.
nope. qtractor has no internal synth whatsoever; the .sf2 that you import in the View > Instruments... dialog is just for easy selecting banks and programs by name on the track properties dialog and menus; implies that there's a SF2 synth in or out to the MIDI track--it is your responsibility to provide one, inserted as a plug-in on the track or output bus, or connected to an external standalone (eg. qsynth).

hth.
cheers
sebigbos
Established Member

Post by sebigbos »

o.k., thanks.

so I had success implementing a-fluidsynth, the fluidsynth-child provided by ardour. The "normal" fluidsynth works, but doesn't take the instrument patches defined in my midi files. Is there a possibility to do this as default to all files, a fixed routiing?
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

sebigbos wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:35 pm o.k., thanks.

so I had success implementing a-fluidsynth, the fluidsynth-child provided by ardour. The "normal" fluidsynth works, but doesn't take the instrument patches defined in my midi files. Is there a possibility to do this as default to all files, a fixed routiing?
dunno about ardour's a-fluidsynth though, whether it accepts MIDI bank_select and/or program_change channel messages; but rest assured that fluidsynth and qsynth standalone do, as in compliance to the SF2 spec.
sebigbos
Established Member

Post by sebigbos »

I don' t use the qsynth-standalone but the fluidsynth DSSI plugin and this only plays piano. Don't know why but doesn't matter, the ardour fluidsynth works like a charme.

thanks for help.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

sebigbos wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:29 pm I don' t use the qsynth-standalone but the fluidsynth DSSI plugin and this only plays piano. Don't know why but doesn't matter, the ardour fluidsynth works like a charme.

thanks for help.
Check the track's setup. Qtractor sends program change commands when the track is configured with them. Also be sure to load the correct soundfont.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/