Stargate DAW

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Largos
Established Member

Stargate DAW

Post by Largos »

This is something I found

https://github.com/stargateaudio/stargate
Stargate DAW

Stargate is an all-in-one DAW and plugin suite, designed to be a comprehensive solution for music production, with a focus on providing unique and innovative features, especially for EDM production. To understand what Stargate is, and why, read the project design principles.
I haven't played with it heavily but these are my first impressions. I downloaded the .deb onto kubuntu 20.04. There were dependency issues but I fixed them with "apt --fix-broken install".

The only way I could get sound of it was to use it with JACK but your mileage might vary. When restarting the program after changing audio, the program often stalled. I had to end the process and start again, then it was fine. It has a couple of instruments and sample player, which loads SFZ files as well. You can use MIDI in but there is no MIDI out that I can see. I can't see any sort of tempo control, which is odd. There a few effects but also very good audio routing out so you could easily send audio to another program for effects.
treehouse
Established Member

Re: Stargate DAW

Post by treehouse »

Looks pretty rad, thanks for sharing. I'm gonna watch all of the Youtube videos and then try to get a song going this week.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Looks interesting. I got a kick/snare happening in a couple of minutes after watching the basics video which is amazing for me! :mrgreen: Very late here now so more tomorrow.
Largos wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:49 pmI downloaded the .deb onto kubuntu 20.04. There were dependency issues but I fixed them with "apt --fix-broken install".
Presumably you used dpkg. If you install locally with apt it will automatically resolve the dependencies during install. Run this from the same directory the package is in:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install ./stargate-21.12.1-amd64.deb
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Thanks, yes, that's what I did. I did not know you could install deb with apt.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Largos wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:34 pm Thanks, yes, that's what I did. I did not know you could install deb with apt.
Apt has extra super cow powers :mrgreen:

Code: Select all

$ apt moo
                 (__) 
                 (oo) 
           /------\/ 
          / |    ||   
         *  /\---/\ 
            ~~   ~~   
..."Have you mooed today?"...
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

:lol: I hadn't 'herd' about that either
treehouse
Established Member

Post by treehouse »

Largos wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:49 pm I can't see any sort of tempo control, which is odd. There a few effects but also very good audio routing out so you could easily send audio to another program for effects.
It's all in the Youtube videos. Low budget video productions for sure, but if you already know how to produce music, you will feel like an expert after watching the whole video library in 2 hours.

Tempo is set using markers, right click on the timeline. There are something like 3 instruments and 12 effects, rough estimate, did not count. But the multifx and EQ plugins contain a huge number of effects, I am going to say several dozen. Covers all of the standard filters and distortions, and some more exotic ones, and some other stuff I need to explore more. The instruments cover all of the bases pretty well, good sound, run well on a weak laptop. FM1 and Sampler1 might be a little intimidating at first, but you could say the same about Serum, Kontakt, Dune, FM8, Massive X or any complex instrument.

I would compare the DAW to FL Studio. The way audio files are handled is great for EDM, as far as I know the only DAW that works this way, not sure if it works well for recording and editing a band. Piano roll is solid, sequencer is pretty easy to use. I might share the song I am working on in a few days, after I fix some rookie mistakes. Next song is gonna be lit.

Stability is pretty good, only got a couple of "engine crashed" messages after switching files in the wave editor and hitting play immediately after, a lot better than my experience with Zrythm. No project corruption or anything like that.
digitsun
Established Member

Post by digitsun »

Stargate has singular principles about plugins: no external plugins. It has a unique plugin API, so I believe it's more similar to Reason with free software development or LMMS.
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

Just found this thread. No Jack audio driver in Stargate?
treehouse
Established Member

Post by treehouse »

alex stone wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:23 pm Just found this thread. No Jack audio driver in Stargate?
It does work with JACK as the audio driver on Linux. You can select JACK from the hardware dialog and choose a device, I've done it before.

If you were looking for deep integration with JACK like the traditional Linux DAWs, it doesn't do that. But having used the Windows and Linux ports of Stargate extensively by now, there seems to be a lot of emphasis on having the exact same experience on all platforms, so not really surprising that it does not support something that is mostly only used on one platform.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between platforms is Windows using ASIO, WDM-KS, etc... and Linux using ALSA, JACK, etc... I can even open my projects created on one OS in the other, works flawlessly.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

treehouse wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:30 am
alex stone wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:23 pm Just found this thread. No Jack audio driver in Stargate?
It does work with JACK as the audio driver on Linux. You can select JACK from the hardware dialog and choose a device, I've done it before.

If you were looking for deep integration with JACK like the traditional Linux DAWs, it doesn't do that. But having used the Windows and Linux ports of Stargate extensively by now, there seems to be a lot of emphasis on having the exact same experience on all platforms, so not really surprising that it does not support something that is mostly only used on one platform.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between platforms is Windows using ASIO, WDM-KS, etc... and Linux using ALSA, JACK, etc... I can even open my projects created on one OS in the other, works flawlessly.
Thanks for the heads up.
treehouse
Established Member

Post by treehouse »

Heads up, development seemed kind of slow for a while, but the latest releases in the past month or 2 are lit: https://github.com/stargatedaw/stargate

The new UI looks really nice, shows hints in the corner of the window for every control, the appimage works well, multi channel midi support is awesome, and a bunch of other stuff you can read about on the releases page. I hope they keep this up, excited to see where this goes.