Qtractor question

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

OccinticLady
Established Member

Qtractor question

Post by OccinticLady »

Hej all! (a droplet of Swedish)
So, using Qtractor, I record MIDI channels. As some have noticed, I split my main keyboard up (clothespins... :wink: ) so I woncer...can Qtractor do that too? Can I record from MIDI channel 1 for example and only keys 0 tru 75?
Thanks
Melissa
LAM
Established Member

Re: Qtractor question

Post by LAM »

Yes, not sure if there is a way to do it internally in Qtractor, you can use MIDI filters: https://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-midifilter

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

not quite.

qtractor will record ALL notes/keys that appear on its inputs... though you may well "split" (or filter) the playback to whatever MIDI instruments, as long you insert the corresponding midi-filter *before* the target instrument.
OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

Hi,
It's not really about filters as such. I would like to record a track that I'd usually do in one run. It'd do it in one run, but the one portion of the keyboard goes to one channel and an other to a different channel, yet both on the same MIDI channel...
I dont think that is possible, though...
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Yes with MIDI filters. ;)

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

@OccinticLady,

in the attached screenshot I connected the keyboard (jack-keyboard) to the MIDI Keysplit (running in Carla) set to split notes till 75 to channel 1 and above 75 to channel 2.
The MIDI Keysplit is then connected to the Qtractor's Master MIDI.
In Qtractor I created 3 tracks for this demo, all of them using the Master MIDI Input:
Track1 is on Channel 1
Track2 is on Channel 2
Track3 is on Channel 3

I recorded all 3 tracks while sweeping through the notes, you can see clearly what happens on Track1 and Track2.

@rncbc don't know if it's a bug (or a feature :) ) or it's just my setup/version (0.9.23):
If I create only 2 tracks one of the tracks will record MIDI events from both channel 1 and 2, while using a third track (on channel 3) make the third track to get all the events (from channel 1 and 2), while the first 2 tracks will record from their respective channel correctly. :roll:
Attachments
2021-10-26_09.45.59.946.png
2021-10-26_09.45.59.946.png (250.37 KiB) Viewed 9661 times

rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

LAM wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:50 am @rncbc don't know if it's a bug (or a feature :) ) or it's just my setup/version (0.9.23):
If I create only 2 tracks one of the tracks will record MIDI events from both channel 1 and 2, while using a third track (on channel 3) make the third track to get all the events (from channel 1 and 2), while the first 2 tracks will record from their respective channel correctly. :roll:
it's a feature: you probably have Track > Auto Monitor on and the current highlighted track will filter all input to its MIDI channel, so that all input will be recorded no matter which MIDI channel is incoming.
OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

@LAM
Thanks so much! I'll try that here too. Helps witht hese "one-shots" like the Thunder and the Fairy...and the upcomming EVA (video still to be made) where I play the whole thing in one go... :D