Qtractor places my VST3 on the black list (it didn't before)

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Qtractor places my VST3 on the black list (it didn't before)

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I've got a Windows VST3 (Arturia's VST3) bridged via YABridge. It used to load just fine in Qtractor. Now I've upgraded to Qtractor version 0.9.24 and when I scan for VST3 plugins it finds none. When I view the options then Qtractor has placed said VST3 (.so) on the black list. It works just fine in Carla so it's not YABridge that's the fault.

Help! :?:
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Re: Qtractor places my VST3 on the black list (it didn't before)

Post by robbert-vdh »

Qtractor prints the plugin output to the log panel at the bottom of the main window, check if there are any errors or other messages there. Qtractor 0.9.24 scans the couple of VST3 plugins I tried just fine.
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

plugins are added to blacklist automatically if they crash or timeout on the scan process; you may well remove it from the blacklist on View > Options... > Plugins and try again.

good luck ;)
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

The next version of qtractor will include a "Woke list" which scans for, and removes, technology that perpetuates racial stereotypes, such as a "blacklist". Once the blacklist is added to the woke list, your problem will be solved. Or your computer will melt down into what looks like a doody brick from outer space. Either way, you won't be thinking about that vst any longer.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

robbert-vdh wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:02 pm Qtractor prints the plugin output to the log panel at the bottom of the main window, check if there are any errors or other messages there. Qtractor 0.9.24 scans the couple of VST3 plugins I tried just fine.
No errors that might be related other than:

Code: Select all

qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 1618, resource id: 67195870, major code: 40 (TranslateCoords), minor code: 0
QIODevice::write (qtractorPluginFactory::Scanner): device not open
QIODevice::write (qtractorPluginFactory::Scanner): device not open
rncbc wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:44 pm plugins are added to blacklist automatically if they crash or timeout on the scan process; you may well remove it from the blacklist on View > Options... > Plugins and try again.

good luck ;)
Removing it from the Black List adds it automatically again and again unfortunately. The plugin even appears more than once in the Black List. Today I managed to see the interface once of the 'Arturia VCS3 Synthi' (trial) plugin after de-selecting "Open plugin's editor (GUI) by defiult" and on/off "Select plugin's editor (GUI) if more than one is available". Even the GUI worked fine. But Qtractor refuses to load it again, no matter what.

How can I hard-disable adding to black list?
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

also, next versions of qtractor will get away with some more race conditions :mrgreen:
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

On a serious note. After adding and removing /usr/lib/vst/ and /usr/local/lib/ from the VST and VST3 plugin paths it seems to work (for now?). Which doesn't make sense to me...
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:43 pm On a serious note. After adding and removing /usr/lib/vst/ and /usr/local/lib/ from the VST and VST3 plugin paths it seems to work (for now?). Which doesn't make sense to me...
neither to me :( what do you have there? i mean in /usr/lib/vst* and /usr/local/lib/vst* ??
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

rncbc wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:15 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:43 pm On a serious note. After adding and removing /usr/lib/vst/ and /usr/local/lib/ from the VST and VST3 plugin paths it seems to work (for now?). Which doesn't make sense to me...
neither to me :( what do you have there? i mean in /usr/lib/vst* and /usr/local/lib/vst* ??
In /usr/lib/vst/ there is Carla bridge stuff. In /usr/local/lib there's nothing concerning VST(3). I removed both directories today and it all still works. In the past I've downloaded a lot of old free Win VST's and I put them in ~/vst. So I don't need those other dirs. I rebooted a few times yesterday every time I got the strange behavior of Qtractor placing my VST's on the black list. Today it all seems to work again...
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

It used to load just fine.
Now... it finds none.
Today I managed to see the interface once.
But Qtractor refuses to load it again.
After adding and removing it seems to work
I'll bet you're looking forward to tomorrow.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.