Using Linux for live gig work - how many would trust it?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tavasti
Established Member

Re: Using Linux for live gig work - how many would trust it?

Post by tavasti »

Transit_of_Io wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:42 am I took the Pi setup camping. It did just fine. There was no rain and no extreme temperatures. With a 10,000 mAh powerbank, I played for about two hours and barely dipped into its capacity. That was with several soundfonts loaded, plus Sooperlooper, plus my spawling (but not terribly processor intensive) Pure Data MIDI control patch, hosting a wifi hospot, and VNC with LXDE desktop on Ubuntu Server 20.01, "performance tweaks" and kernel from Ubuntu Studio Installer.
Any pics from that setup?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Transit_of_Io
Established Member

Post by Transit_of_Io »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:30 am What LCD screen did you use? How did you power that one, etc.?
I brought a 5" TFT LCD screen that can mount on the Pi or work as a stand-alone HDMI monitor. It can use micro-USB power and just gets plugged into a separate powerbank. It was there as a backup in case I couldn't get in with VNC.

I also host an AP hotspot on the Pi for remote control with VNC using an Android phone, and also for routing midi from the midi app on Android.

Mainly it's set up to work without a display. There's a startup script to open the stuff I use the most. I'll add more scripts with other setups that can be triggered from the keyboards (through Pure Data).

I didn't end up using either display on this trip. It just worked. Without a monitor I couldn't have gotten it working.
Transit_of_Io
Established Member

Post by Transit_of_Io »

tavasti wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:06 pm Any pics from that setup?
I'll post the video link and some relevant screenshots here when I get it edited.

This is from the backyard test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7XEy0GXHDU

Edit: Only shows the keyboard part of the setup, which is a pair of qwerty keyboards, with use of the android surface at the end (5:40). Does not show the hardware and was done with a laptop, before the Pi.
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:26 pm Out of curiosity: what hardware sequencer do you use?
Squarp Pyramid and Roland MC-707.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

chaocrator wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:09 am
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:26 pm Out of curiosity: what hardware sequencer do you use?
Squarp Pyramid and Roland MC-707.
Wow! Very, very nice hardware indeed.
Transit_of_Io
Established Member

Post by Transit_of_Io »

tavasti wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:06 pm Any pics from that setup?

Hammock view of the entire setup, from above and below. There is a small audio cable to the powered speaker, and the white USB cable connects to an Android device that's being used as a MIDI controller. The rectangular device is a combination USB hub and sound card. The keyboards are also wired. There's a flat battery on top in the picture, because the velcro that held it to the underside didn't hold. (Adhesive failed because I didn't give it time to set.)

The stand is the heaviest part of the setup. I'm learning how to weld PP plastics with a soldering iron, and will soon make a lighter stand that is also a folding case for the whole shebang, including all the cables except external audio.

Video from the trip is still in the works.