Using Linux for live gig work - how many would trust it?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

pax-eterna
Established Member

Using Linux for live gig work - how many would trust it?

Post by pax-eterna »

Thinking of using my Linux system for live gig work, using LV2 plugs and windows plugs (via WINE).
It's a decent spec'd pc I'd be using (an Intel NUC box) and a quality touch screen.

Do other users think Linux (in my case Manajro Pahvo) is a solid and reliable enough system to be used safely in that environment? I have used Windows in the past with no issues at all, but I'd prefer to not have to go back.
One of the downsides is there are no Mainstage, Cantabile, Gig Performer like apps for Linux (but I do have Cantabile working in Linux, albeit with marginal, but useable, latency) so I am being forced to use WINE.

I could go with a DAW, Reaper for eg, and try and run songs from there, but that gets a bit awkward really.

So, yeah, interested to hear from folks already doing it, contemplating doing it or have tips on getting it done reliably :)

Thanks
LAM
Established Member

Re: Using Linux for live gig work - how many would trust it?

Post by LAM »

My only experience live is with Mixxx (mutliple times), and I can say it went very well.
Linux is very reliable, It's more about the software and plugins you are using, the only way to know is to test your live setup and see what are the problems that you can face.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

Thanks.
Yes I have it all setup pretty much and so far so good in the studio. Just a bit worried about live.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

pax-eterna wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:25 pm Thinking of using my Linux system for live gig work, using LV2 plugs and windows plugs (via WINE).
I take windows-plugins as a risk. On updates, there is some risk that they will stop working. So be sure to have full disk image of your system so that I can restore it if it breaks.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

It's stable enough for billion-dollar enterprises to rely on; it should hold up just fine :)

If anything's likely to get flakey, it'll be hardware related, especially around cables and sockets.
I'm slow, but I get there eventually.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Jamesf wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:12 am It's stable enough for billion-dollar enterprises to rely on; it should hold up just fine :)

If anything's likely to get flakey, it'll be hardware related, especially around cables and sockets.
What billion dollar thing uses windows plugins with wine?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

It's stable enough for Mars, it's stable enough for me :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

pax-eterna wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:25 pm [...] windows plugs (via WINE).
I would never rely one operating system to run software/plugins from another OS. Sorry man.
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

I have used Linux on my employers' notebook (TP P50) to record live music (our daughter on piano, mikes: Røde, interface: Focusrite). So yes, I'd trust that more than anything. But Windows plugins? Naaah thanks...
more about me on my blog
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

i have used linux for live performance for many years.. bitwig since v1.0.. but i would never, ever use wine or any other kind of wrappers or workarounds live.. too many things can go wrong, and they usually do, in the worst possible situations.. so i only use internal devices in the software i'm using, or native, well-tested and stable plugins if i absolutely have to.. i render a lot of stuff down to audio and play that back instead of having tons of realtime plugins and effects.. play it safe, follow the kiss principle, and things will be fine.. :-)

the main problem i have had, is using spinning disks in a laptop on a stage (with a lot of low-frequent vibrations).. swapping it out for a ssd made things good again..

- tor-helge
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 + ASUS Tuf Gaming FX506-II + JACK + Ardour 6 have been used by me since the start of this year for different kind of activity: recording, playing in rehearsal room, doing live gigs.
The previous configuration was Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 + Benq Joybook R56 R21 + JACK + Ardour 6 which worked well until the audio device suddenly died.
Did not use any non-native plugins and wouldn't recommend to use them since it is a huge potential point of failure.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

I gig 4 to 5 times a week, and have used a computer for over 10 years live. If you've got a working software setup that runs for hours without crashing, then you're good to go. I use my own BackupBand software on gigs, and it has never failed me.

James hit the nail on the head. If you have any problems, it's almost always hardware-related. That has certainly been my experience. In transporting equipment from gig to gig, that equipment is inevitably going to be subjected to physical stress. The number one priority is to get a rackmount computer (usually referred to as a server), and mount it in a rack case (such as those made by Gator or SKB). Do not use a laptop computer for gigging. Laptops are notorious for failing due to physical shock or overheating. Second priority is to minimize any components that have moving parts. These wear down, and are affected by dust and smoke. Use an SDD, not a magnetic platter hard drive. Absolutely, use a fanless system. No CPU fan. If you can get a computer with the RAM soldered to the motherboard, that's one less thing to "Reseat" after the computer takes a rough jolt. You can get a monitor designed to fit in a rack, and put it in the same case as the computer.

Here are some past discussions I've had on this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10013&p=32147&hilit ... skb#p32147

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22651&p=128156&hil ... kb#p128156

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

tavasti wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:36 am
Jamesf wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:12 am It's stable enough for billion-dollar enterprises to rely on; it should hold up just fine :)

What billion dollar thing uses windows plugins with wine?

I meant Linux, not the part about Windows plugins.
I'm slow, but I get there eventually.
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Linux is the only OS I'll use for playing live.
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

Thanks folks, all much appreciated.

The issue is, as there are NO Linux alternatives for Gig Performer, Cantabile et al, I am sorta forced to use WINE to run my windows only Cantabile live gig hosting app.

If there were an equivalent for Linux, I'd drop EVERYTHING windows and just use linux plugs - even ditching my Sampletank 4!

But there is not even anything on the horizon as a Linux alternative to those apps.

I have even tried to trick Reaper into being a live host, but that method is awkward and not very live friendly, although it will work at a pinch.