Using Linux for live gig work - how many would trust it?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milo
Established Member

Re: Using Linux for live gig work - how many would trust it?

Post by milo »

Not familiar with these windows apps, so I looked up Cantible. From the description it sounds like Carla has a huge feature overlap. What functions is Carla missing that you need?
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

I would add also Konfyt to Carla.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

hmmm, a couple of nice looking contenders there - I recall reading somewhere that Carla couldn't play audio files along with the setups, not could have setups recalled via MIDI, but I will look further into it.

Never heard of Konfyt - would need to get my head around using sf2 files (which I haven't used for many many years haha!) but still worth checking out.

pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

Konfyt looks interesting - need to find some SF2/SFZ files though and probably a player too...needs some more research. If youi can at least point me in the right direction for some quality stuff?? There's lots of links etc but without any knowledge I could be searching a while and accidentally using less than stellar kit, if you get me :)
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

SFZ files (Including the entire "No Budget Orchestra" (nbo_2.zip):

http://www.bandshed.net/sounds/sfz/

You'll want to look at my "No Budget Band" collections (files that start with nbb). For example, nbb_organ.zip contains a B3 instrument, a farfisa type organ, accordions, harmonica. nbb_guitar.zip contains Les paul and Fender strat electrics, steel and nylon string acoustics, mandolin, banjo, etc.

For strings, brass, sax, and other acoustic instruments, you can get them all in nbo_2.zip.

Use LittleLizardPiano.zip for an acoustic grand, stereo_rhodes.zip for Fender rhodes electric piano, wurt.zip for Wurlitzer, and clavinet.zip. nbb_synth.zip will get analog string synth, mellotron. etc.

Btw, if you're just looking for a software sound module, note that BackupBand has that built-in (in addition to the auto-accompaniment features), including an easy setup for layering strings, or split keyboard (i.e. left hand bass). BB uses my nbb_ and nbo_ collections.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

thanks jeffg :) I'll check them out

EDIT: oh and a player to run in either of those apps for sf2/sfz? Assuming Backupband is not for me?
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Both Carla and konfyt have built-in players (thanks to open source software). In fact, since carla loads Lv2 plugins, you can add a plugin that plays WAVE files triggered by midi notes, if that's what you want. Check out the QTractor web page, as that programmer makes such an add-on.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

pax-eterna wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:21 pm The issue is, as there are NO Linux alternatives for Gig Performer, Cantabile et al, I am sorta forced to use WINE to run my windows only Cantabile live gig hosting app.

If there were an equivalent for Linux, I'd drop EVERYTHING windows and just use linux plugs - even ditching my Sampletank 4!
If it really turns out that there is no possibility to replace windows stuff with native, it is possible to live with windows stuff. If you have computer that is dedicated to performing, not updated, not connected to internet, fine. If those windows softwares need to connect network for checking license, then you are doomed anyway, even with using windows :-)

And before making any change to system, take full image backup from it, and also test that you can recover from it. If on change some functionality breaks, then go back unless you can fix it.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

pax-eterna wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:21 pm Thanks folks, all much appreciated.

The issue is, as there are NO Linux alternatives for Gig Performer, Cantabile et al, I am sorta forced to use WINE to run my windows only Cantabile live gig hosting app.

If there were an equivalent for Linux, I'd drop EVERYTHING windows and just use linux plugs - even ditching my Sampletank 4!

But there is not even anything on the horizon as a Linux alternative to those apps.

I have even tried to trick Reaper into being a live host, but that method is awkward and not very live friendly, although it will work at a pinch.
Like others said: it's not a good idea to use one OS to run another OS's software. One has to look for a native alternative and learn to live with it's quirks. If that's not an option (for a non-critical occasion) then one can use emulation or virtualization once or twice (like converting a document and such).

'Gig Performer' looks like 'Carla-Rack' to me. It runs a stack of VST's doesn't it? 'Cantible' also is for running VST's but it looks a little different concerning GUI and lay-out. Me being a Linux guy for the last 15 years: I've never heard of either of 'm so I wouldn't know.

If you really want to use Linux then you can also ask and look for alternatives for those applications. The other way around (first choose an application and then an OS) is not recommended for professional or critical use I'm afraid. If you can explain what the difference is between those apps and what it is that you like so much about 'm then someone might point you to an alternative. But just like 'LibreOffice' as an alternative for 'Microsoft Office': one will have to learn all over again how to use said software for one's specific needs. Just like switching from Win to Apple.

Good luck playing your music! :)

P.S. If I google for "Linux alternative Gig Perfomer" then Cantabile is one of the results. And for both of those Carla-rack is also an alternative.
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

Thanks LinuxMuso01 - yeah I get what you are saying for sure!

My move to Linux was after years of growing annoyance with MS and then when I read where W11 was heading I decided that was where we part company.

I've been looking for some Linux alternatives for a while now - MOST particularly something akin to Sampletank a large sample based library of excellent sounds, and so far I have found nothing similar. There are some as I call "sorta kinda" options which I guess in the fullness of time I will need to investigate to get totally off the MS teat, but to now, it's a "needs must" situation.

I have looked at Carla but without knowing a whole lot about which plugs (native Linux) to use to get the job done, I've sort of "luxuriated" in being able to stick with what I know (VST's) but still under the Linux banner.

I am finding that the reality is I cannot trust wrapping software in a live situation, as everyday (while COVID is on not much happening performing wise) I fire up the system to continue, some other issue pop up requiring several hours of research and fixing. Stuff that wouldn't happen in W10 and if it did I am so familiar I can fix it in usually a minute or so.

I don't want to keep a separate version of an offline Windows (not withstanding the excellent suggestion it is) as that, to me, is defeating the purpose I moved over to Linux ion the first place.

I'll re-visit Carla and try and "nut it out" a bit more.

Thanks again to everyone for the tips and assistance :)
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

pax-eterna wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:28 pm I've been looking for some Linux alternatives for a while now - MOST particularly something akin to Sampletank a large sample based library of excellent sounds, and so far I have found nothing similar. There are some as I call "sorta kinda" options which I guess in the fullness of time I will need to investigate to get totally off the MS teat, but to now, it's a "needs must" situation.
Sampletank works ok in Linux. IK multimedia manager/whateveritiscalled for installing does not work, but on their website there is link 'other versions' or something like that, and from there you can download installers directly, and they work, and also authorization has worked this far for me.

I have Sampletank Free, Synthtronik Free, some Amplitube stuff and Miroslav, all working ok.

pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

thanks, but yes I know it works - I have the full version of SampleTank running under WINE and lots of IK EFX as well. That is not the point...what we are discussing is moving totally away from windows products viz - VST's. And not using a "wrapper" - WINE- to use live.
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

An immediate issue with Carla is I cannot change the buffer rate from 1024 - way too much latency there!
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

pax-eterna wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:54 pm An immediate issue with Carla is I cannot change the buffer rate from 1024 - way too much latency there!
That comes from your jack config. Configure jack as you desire.

wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

pax-eterna wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:54 pm ... Carla ... cannot change the buffer rate from 1024
As tavasti said, that's the jack config - and since you're using Carla, Cadence is your friend...
more about me on my blog