monitor control while recording

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

monitor control while recording

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey everyone, I don't know if that was the right title for my question but here we go.

I am fixing up a song while the guitar parts and I get the right volume setting or gain staging for the guitar and this is not a debating of what gain staging should be because that's the most confusing thing when you try to find the meaning of it and I tend to agree with everyone that says just make sure things are not clipping but my question is, my guitar when it's set to the right level drowns out the music.

I would like to get a nice balance between the music and the guitar track or it could be vocals or anything that I'm recording. It's not easy to record something when you cannot hear the music that you are adding to.

I've gone to the manual for Ardour and Mixbus32C and I get gibberish about using the monitor feature in there but nothing answers that question for me.

I'm using a focusrite 2i2 and yes it has a monitor button or switch on it but that just means that the interface is handling all of the processing taking care of the latency and all the headache or at least that's how it works for me but I have no way of adjusting the mix on what I'm hearing like for instance how the audient Sono interface has a mix knob that you can dial in how much music to how much of the instrument or vocal that's being recorded so you have a nice balance so you can hear the music so you can stay in time with what you're adding whether it's keyboards guitars vocals and so on.

Is there a way to do that in Ardour or Mixbus32C in the simplest form and when I say simplest form I mean explanation from someone? I cannot understand what the manuals are trying to tell me because it's not answering my question.