RME Hammerfall 9632 Help

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

PrepperShepherd
Established Member

RME Hammerfall 9632 Help

Post by PrepperShepherd »

I'm brand new to the Linux DAW world, and working to get things setup for the first time.

I have Ubuntu Studio 20.04 installed. It seems to have picked up the RME PCI card just fine. I've got 12 inputs and outputs showing up in Carla.
Jack starts via the Ubuntu Studio Controls. Ardour is able to start and finds the interface.

What I have no experience with is how to get audio in and out of the RME interface. I just purchased a Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre Dynamic 8 channel mic preamp. It's got ADAT in and out. I'm planning on connecting that via lightpipe to handle my inputs.

What I'm not sure about is if I connect my studio monitors directly to the line out of the OctoPre line-outs? And then I can route audio from the RME interface through ADAT to those two line-out channels? Do I need a mixer between the monitors and the line-outs, or can I just plug straight in?

I also have the RME breakout cables, but it looks like the audio out is via RCA.

Thank you!
bluebell
Established Member

Re: RME Hammerfall 9632 Help

Post by bluebell »

You might need the hdspmixer for Linux.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

PrepperShepherd
Established Member

I have that installed already and it's working well. I can see output levels on the meter when I play my USB keyboard.

Still not sure about output routing though. Maybe it will be more clear once the preamp arrives and I connect it up.
bluebell wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:23 am You might need the hdspmixer for Linux.
Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

PrepperShepherd wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:53 pm What I have no experience with is how to get audio in and out of the RME interface. I just purchased a Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre Dynamic 8 channel mic preamp. It's got ADAT in and out. I'm planning on connecting that via lightpipe to handle my inputs.

What I'm not sure about is if I connect my studio monitors directly to the line out of the OctoPre line-outs? And then I can route audio from the RME interface through ADAT to those two line-out channels? Do I need a mixer between the monitors and the line-outs, or can I just plug straight in?
Unfortunately, you can't use the Octopre as an output device; for all practical purposes, it's input-only.

It does have line-outs for each of the input channels, but those are purely monitoring outputs, so output 1 gives a copy of whatever is coming into channel 1 at that moment in time. There's no way of sending an output signal to the device for output through those channels.

For that, you'll need a separate output. The RCA cables should work fine, as long as your monitors handle unbalanced inputs. I used the RCA inputs on my KRK Rokits when I was using those, with a pair of cables that had TS (Tip-Sleeve) mono jacks on the other end for connecting to my soundcard.

What model are your monitors?
I'm slow, but I get there eventually.
Digital Black
Established Member

Post by Digital Black »

It's nice and handy have a passive monitor controller between card outs and active monitors. Like Mackie Big Knob or Palmer Monicon.

Btw, RME 9632 uses chnls 11/12 for stereo out, you might know already.
PrepperShepherd
Established Member

Ok thank you for that info. Right now I'm using the RCA cables to my monitors and it's working well. My monitors are KRK V8's, so I have a RCA to 1/4" adapter on my speaker cable.
Jamesf wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:18 am
PrepperShepherd wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:53 pm What I have no experience with is how to get audio in and out of the RME interface. I just purchased a Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre Dynamic 8 channel mic preamp. It's got ADAT in and out. I'm planning on connecting that via lightpipe to handle my inputs.

Unfortunately, you can't use the Octopre as an output device; for all practical purposes, it's input-only.

It does have line-outs for each of the input channels, but those are purely monitoring outputs, so output 1 gives a copy of whatever is coming into channel 1 at that moment in time. There's no way of sending an output signal to the device for output through those channels.

For that, you'll need a separate output. The RCA cables should work fine, as long as your monitors handle unbalanced inputs. I used the RCA inputs on my KRK Rokits when I was using those, with a pair of cables that had TS (Tip-Sleeve) mono jacks on the other end for connecting to my soundcard.

What model are your monitors?
PrepperShepherd
Established Member

Good call! I may pick up the big knob...or the PreSonus Central Station looks nice.

I did finally figure out channels 11/12 after about an hour haha. Had to dig into the manual, and I'm brand new with routing in Carla.
Digital Black wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:32 pm It's nice and handy have a passive monitor controller between card outs and active monitors. Like Mackie Big Knob or Palmer Monicon.

Btw, RME 9632 uses chnls 11/12 for stereo out, you might know already.