Problem in recording ardour6.9 sound with OBS Studios with claudia?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Aquarious12
Established Member

Problem in recording ardour6.9 sound with OBS Studios with claudia?

Post by Aquarious12 »

i got new machine recently , on which i installed Arch Linux,Pro-Audio, cadence,obs-studio27.0.1 , ardour6.9. as i am trying to connect ardour with obs in cadence-claudia i am having trouble as the feedback button on ardour gets lighten up red and shows 'no align'. i did try different options like

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgC4sE3_Oos as this video suggest to make connection of obs jack input to ardour , it doesnt work.

2.tried with qjackctl , it gives the same error mention as above.

3. tried to use pulseaudio sink and sources , it doesnt help either.

4.viewtopic.php?f=64&t=20498&p=136245#p136245 as per answer of this question asked by me again gives me the same error.

but i am firm on using cadence-claudia for keeping session saved for all connection . please do help me in making this possible

thank you.
LAM
Established Member

Re: Problem in recording ardour6.9 sound with OBS Studios with claudia?

Post by LAM »

Hi @Aquarious12,

would be helpful to have a screenshot of your mixer view in Ardour, so we can see what are your input and outputs on your channels and master.

Without this it's hard to troubleshoot. ;)

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Aquarious12
Established Member

Post by Aquarious12 »

LAM wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:57 am Hi @Aquarious12,

would be helpful to have a screenshot of your mixer view in Ardour, so we can see what are your input and outputs on your channels and master.

Without this it's hard to troubleshoot. ;)
here it is with /without the claudia connection
1. screenshot is after claudia connection
Attachments
after jack connection.png
after jack connection.png (185.84 KiB) Viewed 17279 times
Screenshot_2021-09-03_16-20-42.png
Screenshot_2021-09-03_16-20-42.png (182.45 KiB) Viewed 17279 times
Screenshot_2021-09-03_16-20-22.png
Screenshot_2021-09-03_16-20-22.png (153.81 KiB) Viewed 17279 times
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I have no experience w/ Ardour, let alone with OBS-Studio. However, in the LinuxAudio forum answer you refer to it looks to me like you had to connect output of Ardour to "an input" of Jack. My guess is that the "Jack IN" in Ardour is the OBS Studio software. My other guess is that it's not a Midi connection but audio (duh!).

I think most people here have experience with qjackctl for Jack connections. Not that I'd like you to use qjackctl permanently, but for troubleshooting and getting help it might be handy to post a screenshot of qjackctl and it's "Connections" window open on the "Audio" tab. I use https://postimages.org and gnome-screenshot --interactive for that. Like so:

Also, are you sure you've started Jack for the right audio device? And are both Ardour and OBS configured to use Jack instead of Alsa or PulseAudio?

Good luck trougleshooting! :)
Aquarious12
Established Member

Post by Aquarious12 »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:28 am I have no experience w/ Ardour, let alone with OBS-Studio. However, in the LinuxAudio forum answer you refer to it looks to me like you had to connect output of Ardour to "an input" of Jack. My guess is that the "Jack IN" in Ardour is the OBS Studio software. My other guess is that it's not a Midi connection but audio (duh!).

I think most people here have experience with qjackctl for Jack connections. Not that I'd like you to use qjackctl permanently, but for troubleshooting and getting help it might be handy to post a screenshot of qjackctl and it's "Connections" window open on the "Audio" tab. I use https://postimages.org and gnome-screenshot --interactive for that. Like so:

Also, are you sure you've started Jack for the right audio device? And are both Ardour and OBS configured to use Jack instead of Alsa or PulseAudio?

Good luck trougleshooting! :)
here are some images as you mentioned , there is not connect button in qjackctl , its mentioned as graph as the images of claudia

as you can see there are two cases with connection of only master output and connection of every output of ardour in jack obs client . both the cases gives the same no align message on feedback button with red light . but i am able to record the sound in obs recordings by these connections.
Attachments
jack image1.jpg
jack image1.jpg (228.14 KiB) Viewed 17272 times
with jack connection.png
with jack connection.png (183.03 KiB) Viewed 17272 times
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Aquarious12 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:58 am here are some images as you mentioned , there is not connect button in qjackctl , its mentioned as graph as the images of claudia

as you can see there are two cases with connection of only master output and connection of every output of ardour in jack obs client . both the cases gives the same no align message on feedback button with red light . but i am able to record the sound in obs recordings by these connections.
Unfortunately, the images are of too low a resolution for me to see what is connected with what (I can't click on 'm either to see a larger version to zoom into). However, I do see in Jack's connection Graph that, concerning audio (not Midi) Ardour's "Geonkick Single oudio out" is connected to Ardour's own "Master audio IN". I don't know for sure, but isn't that gonna cause tremendous feedback (a loud high pitched tone)? Shouldn't Ardour's "Geonkick" be connected to "System playback" (audio)?
Aquarious12
Established Member

Post by Aquarious12 »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:50 pm
Aquarious12 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:58 am here are some images as you mentioned , there is not connect button in qjackctl , its mentioned as graph as the images of claudia

Unfortunately, the images are of too low a resolution for me to see what is connected with what (I can't click on 'm either to see a larger version to zoom into). However, I do see in Jack's connection Graph that, concerning audio (not Midi) Ardour's "Geonkick Single oudio out" is connected to Ardour's own "Master audio IN". I don't know for sure, but isn't that gonna cause tremendous feedback (a loud high pitched tone)? Shouldn't Ardour's "Geonkick" be connected to "System playback" (audio)?
about images there is a limit of 200kb for uploading the images which makes watching them difficult.

about the feedback loop of geonkick plugin the connection is not made by me its default in graph
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Hi @Aquarious12,
as far I know the "No Align" message is a warning of ambiguous latency, not feedback (https://github.com/Ardour/ardour/blob/a ... i2.cc#L827 ).

I tried to recreate it but with no luck:

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:50 pm However, I do see in Jack's connection Graph that, concerning audio (not Midi) Ardour's "Geonkick Single oudio out" is connected to Ardour's own "Master audio IN". I don't know for sure, but isn't that gonna cause tremendous feedback (a loud high pitched tone)? Shouldn't Ardour's "Geonkick" be connected to "System playback" (audio)?
No, the screenshots correctly show Ardour's internal routing for 'Geonkick'.

The feedback is, I think, coming from 'capture_1' and 'capture_2' being connected to 'Master/audio_in 1' and 'Master/audio_in 2'.

Claudia is based on LADISH, which, as far as I know, is out of date. I haven't used Claudia for a while, but I remember Claudia and Ardour fighting over who was in charge of the routing.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

What's that "physyical_audio_input_monitor_enable" port??? :?:

Aquarious12
Established Member

Post by Aquarious12 »

merlyn wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:19 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:50 pm However, I do see in Jack's connection Graph that, concerning audio (not Midi) Ardour's "Geonkick Single oudio out" is connected to Ardour's own "Master audio IN". I don't know for sure, but isn't that gonna cause tremendous feedback (a loud high pitched tone)? Shouldn't Ardour's "Geonkick" be connected to "System playback" (audio)?
No, the screenshots correctly show Ardour's internal routing for 'Geonkick'.

The feedback is, I think, coming from 'capture_1' and 'capture_2' being connected to 'Master/audio_in 1' and 'Master/audio_in 2'.

Claudia is based on LADISH, which, as far as I know, is out of date. I haven't used Claudia for a while, but I remember Claudia and Ardour fighting over who was in charge of the routing.
thanks for reply
as for the feedback part of connections i did try to make the said changes but the result was same

as soon as i connect the output of master to jack input client the no align sign appears with red light

as faras claudia been out of date can you suggest anything . as i do use qjackctl sometimes but there is no saving option of made connection in graph , need something that have this setting.
Aquarious12
Established Member

Post by Aquarious12 »

LAM wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:23 pm What's that "physyical_audio_input_monitor_enable" port??? :?:
i am also not aware about it , anyone can help ,thats welcome.

thanks for replying
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

merlyn wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:19 pm The feedback is, I think, coming from 'capture_1' and 'capture_2' being connected to 'Master/audio_in 1' and 'Master/audio_in 2'.
In the screenshot the "capture_1/2" are connected to the "physyical_audio_input_monitor_enable". I don't know what that is, could be something enabled in the Ardour's preferences? like: https://manual.ardour.org/preferences-a ... ignal_flow

Aquarious12
Established Member

Post by Aquarious12 »

LAM wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:58 pm
merlyn wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:19 pm The feedback is, I think, coming from 'capture_1' and 'capture_2' being connected to 'Master/audio_in 1' and 'Master/audio_in 2'.
In the screenshot the "capture_1/2" are connected to the "physyical_audio_input_monitor_enable". I don't know what that is, could be something enabled in the Ardour's preferences? like: https://manual.ardour.org/preferences-a ... ignal_flow
i am sure about what this can do for no align, please do help.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Aquarious12 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:51 pm as faras claudia been out of date can you suggest anything . as i do use qjackctl sometimes but there is no saving option of made connection in graph , need something that have this setting.
There are a couple of session managers -- Agordejo https://www.laborejo.org/agordejo/ and RaySession https://github.com/Houston4444/RaySession.

I've been trying out RaySession and it seems good. It has a patchbay which is based on the Carla patchbay, so that should be familiar to you coming from Claudia.
LAM wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:58 pm In the screenshot the "capture_1/2" are connected to the "physyical_audio_input_monitor_enable". I don't know what that is, could be something enabled in the Ardour's preferences? like: https://manual.ardour.org/preferences-a ... ignal_flow
I'll have a look at that ...