What DAW do you use?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

What DAW do you use?

Ableton
1%
Ardour
29%
Bitwig
11%
Cubase
No votes
LMMS
4%
Mixbus
17%
QTractor
4%
Reaper
21%
Tracktion
4%
Other
10%

Total votes: 109

WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Re: What DAW do you use?

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

merlyn wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:04 pm I don't think it's surprising Ableton has zero votes, even if it is the most popular eh ... DAW? Ableton is more than a 'DAW' because it comes with a ton of content -- samples, drum machines, plugins, virtual instruments ...

Some of the musicians I know use Ableton and they do so because they can get a track going quickly. Anyone who wants this workflow on Linux is likely to choose Bitwig, because it's Linux native.

Ableton can simultaneously be the most popular DAW and have zero Linux users. In statistics Bayes' Theorem models these kind of situations. The probability of a musician using Ableton is very low given that they use Linux.
DAW = Digital Audio Workstation :)

I think it's fair to assume that a "digital audio workstation" would come with more than just basic recording and editing capabilities.

I remember before the acronym became commonplace, many people referred to them as just "sequencers", or (gasp), "MIDI / Audio sequencers" (in that order!).
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

WforWoollyMammoth wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:15 pm I think it's fair to assume that a "digital audio workstation" would come with more than just basic recording and editing capabilities.
Top of the charts in this poll is Ardour, which is pretty bare when first installed, no? :)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

I use Ardour for Audio only it has (and still does) very unpredictable things for me with MIDI. For MIDI I selected 'Other' because I use EnergyXT 2.7 (Linux Native) heavily hacked and tweaked with Yabridge.
WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

merlyn wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:52 pm
WforWoollyMammoth wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:15 pm I think it's fair to assume that a "digital audio workstation" would come with more than just basic recording and editing capabilities.
Top of the charts in this poll is Ardour, which is pretty bare when first installed, no? :)
Serious answer:

DAWs have been filled with bundled content for over twenty years now. The cheaper and download only ones (e.g. Reaper) are the ones that do not come with tons of additional content. The whole "workstation" concept in music has typically implied that that you can just start making music on them without much else.

With open source stuff the downloads have been kept bare bones for reasons of convention, licensing restrictions, download sizes etc. Especially on Linux, one is expected to combine different pieces of software together - you know that.

Less serious answer:

If you order a pizza and you get a pizza and a coke for the same price, very few would start complaining about it and argue that they didn't get what they ordered.
Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

I'm Ardour-only at the moment.

I'd use LMMS for sample-looping, because it's much better suited to that task, but it's locked to 44.1KHz and 2 output channels.
I'm slow, but I get there eventually.
Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

Jamesf wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:02 am I'm Ardour-only at the moment.

I'd use LMMS for sample-looping, because it's much better suited to that task, but it's locked to 44.1KHz and 2 output channels.
Apparently I should have read the manual more carefully. I grepped the lmms source-code for "44.1" to see if I could work on this problem myself (how hard can it be?) and that's how I found out you can export at all sorts of sample-rates, as well as importing at (say) 24/192. The import flexibility is important to me, as I'm working with third-party sample libraries.
I can live with exporting from lmms and importing to Ardour as a workaround; there's no practical difference between that and remote collaboration.

So lmms is back on my menu!
I'm slow, but I get there eventually.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Been using Mixbus for a few years, just made the jump to Mixbus32c. Being a relic from the analogue age it's analogue style mixer suits me.
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

MusE — as and old school MIDI sequencer for hardware boxes
Mixbus — for mixing/mastering jobs
Bitwig 8-track — i like it, but there's no proper MIDI export.
Aquarious12
Established Member

Post by Aquarious12 »

I use Ardour

i did move from Fruity loops.
microlag
Established Member

Post by microlag »

My main DAW is Reaper and these are my secondary DAWs.
Live 11 Standard, Reason 11 Intro, G Stomper Studio, Sputter.
now i'm learning Ardour.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

microlag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:27 am My main DAW is Reaper and these are my secondary DAWs.
now i'm learning Ardour.
Are you running all those in Linux? I think I tried Reason, but did not got it working.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

microlag
Established Member

Post by microlag »

tavasti wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:41 am
microlag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:27 am My main DAW is Reaper and these are my secondary DAWs.
now i'm learning Ardour.
Are you running all those in Linux? I think I tried Reason, but did not got it working.
Only Ardour is running in Linux.