MusE - How to sync sequencer tracks?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mr_happy
Established Member

MusE - How to sync sequencer tracks?

Post by mr_happy »

Hello, complete newb to MusE here, hope someone can give me a clue to how to do this...

First, my simple setup is like this: Arturia Keystep -> Volca FM -> Behringer Uphoria UM2 -> MuseE and I can record audio with no problems.

Lets say the first sequence is a repeating bass-line and I'd like to trigger (in sync) a second sequence (or maybe play a sample) beginning after say 4 repetitions of the bass line.

To record the first sequence I begin record then start the sequence on the Keystep, meaning there's silence at the start. Recording live over this is fine but how would I start a second sequence in sync with the first? I'm guessing there's a better way of beginning the recording and some sort of clock signal that can be used to trigger a second 'instrument' (sequence or sample)?

Any help appreciated!

TIA
spamatica
Established Member

Re: MusE - How to sync sequencer tracks?

Post by spamatica »

Hi mr_happy

It isn't clear from your description if you have any midi connection between the Arturia step and MusE?

As both MusE and the Arturia Step have sequencers you need to decide which if these should be the master (the other will be slave) and have the master send syncronization messages over midi to keep the other in lock-step. MusE supports being both master and slave and MTC and Midi Clock variants. Midi Clock is the simpler solution, I believe.

Lookup what features the Arturia step support related to synchronization and find a combination that both parts support in a master->slave configuration.

And check out the dialog under Settings->Midi Sync for MusEs sync settings.

This subject is a bit hairy and it can take a few tries before you get it right. But in short, midi connection in between and find a common sync protocol to test.
MusE DAW
mr_happy
Established Member

Post by mr_happy »

spamatica wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:12 pm It isn't clear from your description if you have any midi connection between the Arturia step and MusE?

This subject is a bit hairy and it can take a few tries before you get it right. But in short, midi connection in between and find a common sync protocol to test.
Thank you for the very helpful reply. I don't have a midi connection between the Keystep and the PC I'm afraid, so it sounds like what I'm trying to do isn't possible (I was hoping the USB connection might come into play somehow). I'd be happy using MusE's as master and edit using the piano roll but I'm guessing I'll still need a midi connection to send those notes to the Volca (ie MusE to Keystep via USB then Keystep to Volca via midi won't work)?

Thanks again :)
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

mr_happy wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:00 pm (ie MusE to Keystep via USB then Keystep to Volca via midi won't work)?
On modern devices, MIDI is often carried over USB, so it might very well be that you get a midi device on the computer through this connection.
Check in Settings->Midi Ports/Soft Synths if there is a keystep midi device or whatever it might be called.
MusE DAW
mr_happy
Established Member

Post by mr_happy »

Thanks again. Looking in Settings->Midi Port/Soft Synths I see this info in the bottom part of the dialog box which seems to indicate that I can send to the KeyStep:
ss-07-47-40-2021-04-28.png
ss-07-47-40-2021-04-28.png (24.01 KiB) Viewed 2812 times
I've tried creating a midi track, setting the KeyStep as the output port/device (MIDI 1) and added some notes to the piano roll. The KeyStep is set to send to the Volca on MIDI 1 (I'm not sure if that's how it should be set or whether it needs to be on a different channel?) but I can't figure out how to get the audio back. I've noticed that the system playback destinations are red in the routing dialog:
ss-08-34-48-2021-04-28.png
ss-08-34-48-2021-04-28.png (45.1 KiB) Viewed 2812 times
Can you point me in the right direction again please?

PS I've only just noticed there's a MusE specific subforum, sorry this is in the wrong place, maybe a mod can move it?
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Hello again,

replied to most of this in your new question in the MusE forum.
Just thought I would add that I don't think the system_out should be red here. It likely means they for some reason have been disconnected.
They are best reconnected with the right arrow on the Output track.

Though for your midi question this should not matter as the external devices will be the ones creating sound not MusE.
MusE DAW
mr_happy
Established Member

Post by mr_happy »

Thank you, will reply in other thread if needed!