Feature search: generic MIDI control template, switch between interface views, recalling complete mixes

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Feature search: generic MIDI control template, switch between interface views, recalling complete mixes

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

This is inspired by some indispensable (when you've tried them) features of Cakewalk/SONAR. Looking for anything similar somewhere in Linux land. I don't mind running two or more different sequencers or DAWs for audio or different MIDI tracks if needed (like one for drums only, another for keys and so on).

Cakewalk's standard MIDI controller template layer is called ACT.

Say you have 8 faders, 8 knobs and 8 buttons on your controller. Say you flick between
  • recording a track or two
  • mixer views for 8 or more channels
  • single track view to change gain, volume, eq, etc. in the channel strip
  • plugins with various controls for their settings
ACT's generic template can be trimmed to automatically pick the most obvious parameters. It can jump between tracks 1-8, 9-17, etc.

So you can let go of the mouse and don't need a larger hardware controller either to speed up workflow.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?p ... es.15.html

in Cakewalk lingo workspace, screensets, lenses

I use them to switch (with num keys 1 - ....) between
  • a editor window for tracking
  • a mixer window with busses
  • a mixer window without busses
  • a mixer window with busses only
- and to define which parts of the interface I want visible at any given time

Easy on the eye, removes clutterm, speeds up workflow.

Cakewalk's mix recall is genius, it's basically a snapshot like you'd have on any digital mixer to store and recall all settings.

Practical when mixing decisions are tricky and you'd like to A/B/C compare or make a quick experiment and then go back to the base mix afterwards.