Unable to delete empty MIDI region in Ardour

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

DisasterArea
Established Member

Unable to delete empty MIDI region in Ardour

Post by DisasterArea »

Hello,

I have started to use Ardour, read some tutorial and relevant chapters of the handbook, but still I get stuck in deleting some regions in a MIDI track. Basically I am able to delete regions in that track but for some reason there are some regions in the region list I can not delete. They seem to be empty because when I activate them, nothing is highlighted in the track. In the region list they have a position, an end and a length but at this position there is nothing in the trak or another region.

I have found nothing about that in this forum. Could anyone help and give a hint.

Regards

Frank
Ubuntu Studio 22.04, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, NI Komplete Audio 6, Acoustic and E-Guitar, E-Bass, Modular Synth (Cardinal) KORG Nano Control Studio, Novation Launchkey 25
12strings2hands
Established Member

Re: Unable to delete empty MIDI region in Ardour

Post by 12strings2hands »

Nothing is ever deleted in an Ardour session.
Audio/MIDI data appears in chunks called regions, which are arranged into horizontal lanes called tracks. Tracks are stacked vertically in the Editor window. Regions can be copied, shortened, moved, and deleted without changing the actual data stored in the session at all—Ardour is a non-destructive editor.
https://manual.ardour.org/introducing-a ... th-ardour/
Aquarious12
Established Member

Post by Aquarious12 »

DisasterArea wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:02 pm Hello,

I have started to use Ardour, read some tutorial and relevant chapters of the handbook, but still I get stuck in deleting some regions in a MIDI track. Basically I am able to delete regions in that track but for some reason there are some regions in the region list I can not delete. They seem to be empty because when I activate them, nothing is highlighted in the track. In the region list they have a position, an end and a length but at this position there is nothing in the trak or another region.

I have found nothing about that in this forum. Could anyone help and give a hint.

Regards

Frank
@12strings2hands
Yes absolutely right that ardour is non- destructive editor , thats what is different in it.man i do like to know your view or your style of using Ardour.

@Disaster Area
you can do one thing of you want , to clear all the files from "Editors lists" Region tab , you can remove them with left click on the name of the file.After doing that ( please note this is Destructive and Non Recoverable ) go As Sessions>Clean Up>Choose Option , when you restart the session you will see the cleared Editorial list.
DisasterArea
Established Member

Post by DisasterArea »

Dear @Aquarious12 , thanks for your advice. It*s long time ago since I was working with Linux Audio. But because of the pandemic I came back in order to use Jamulus. And now I've got a Novation Launchkey MIDI controller and will use it with Ardour. So your hint is helpful for me and maybe others.
Ubuntu Studio 22.04, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, NI Komplete Audio 6, Acoustic and E-Guitar, E-Bass, Modular Synth (Cardinal) KORG Nano Control Studio, Novation Launchkey 25