Suggestions for sync MIDI app with Ardour and share workflow

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

digitsun
Established Member

Suggestions for sync MIDI app with Ardour and share workflow

Post by digitsun »

Hi,

I really appreciate the power of Ardour in particular its routing and audio features, but its MIDI implementation don't like me. I respect the roadmap of Ardour's developers but I miss the typical MIDI workflow: piano roll in external window, easy access to MIDI values like Velocity with vertical bars and other features.

In GNU/Linux exists very solid MIDI applications or at least with a good MIDI implementation: Muse, Qtractor, Rosegarden or even LMMS; but, as in everything, those apps have other issues. For example, Qtractor has a perfect MIDI editor, but has many crashes when works with plugins (this a expected behavior coz Qtractor can't be compatible with all plugins of the internet, Carla resolve this problem most of the time).

So, it would be interesting to have testimonials of workflows. I don't know have to sync and combine the powers of different DAWs but I think that maybe JACK can help us. Imagine: can combine the power of audio managing of Ardour with the MIDI edition of Qtractor. Please tell us how to achieve sync that configuration and how do you work with two DAWs?
LAM
Established Member

Re: Suggestions for sync MIDI app with Ardour and share workflow

Post by LAM »

Hi @digitsun,
a simple solution that comes to mind is editing MIDI in Qtractor and then importing the MIDI tracks in Ardour.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

If the transport and synchronization between the two or more programs (audio/MIDI/...) works I would use the
$MIDI_program as master (transport/synchronization) - which only sends the clock, MIDI data, ... via jackd - and the
$audio_program as slave (transport/synchronization). All instruments run in the $audio_program.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

This great video shows how to sync Muse and Ardour (via Jack transport) for programing. You then can import the MIDI track to Ardour.
digitsun
Established Member

Post by digitsun »

Well is possible but I can't visualize it. The only limitation is that applications have JACK Transport support. Somebody works this way, please share you workflow.