Reaper MIDI vs. Mixbus MIDI

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Bjorn218
Established Member

Re: Reaper MIDI vs. Mixbus MIDI

Post by Bjorn218 »

ufug wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:47 pm As a long-time user of Mixbus (since v3), I have to say MIDI on Reaper is considerably easier and more flexible than Mixbus. It's not even close.

Re: plugins, there's really no significant difference since Reaper started supporting LV2.

I switched to Reaper in December just to test it, but now I can't imagine going back to Mixbus. The only thing I miss is Harrison's built in EQ and compressor(s) because they are so convenient/easy/sound so good, but for everything else I find Reaper to be superior.
It is easier?
I have no issue with Reaper's MIDI anyways. I just hear the people at the Reaper forum say its abysmal. Everything MIDI I have ever doe with it was flawless so I have no idea what those folks mean
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

ufug wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:47 pmRe: plugins, there's really no significant difference since Reaper started supporting LV2.
I would argue that there's a very significant difference: Reaper also uses JS plugins, which are open source and work on any version of Reaper on any OS (since they only compile at runtime, by Reaper when it loads them). Some of my favorite plugins are JS plugins.

On the negative side: Reaper won't display GUIs for some older LV2 such as Calf due to the libraries they use (GTK).
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

JamesPeters wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:02 am JS plugins, which are open source
They're only open source if the author licences them as such.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

Yes, not all JS plugins are open source. Most are free, and "open" in terms of the transparency of the code and ability to edit it, especially since it's code which is easy to read. Although I know of one person who obscured their JS code to make it "unreadable".