Ardour recording midi and changing BPM

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

boik
Established Member

Ardour recording midi and changing BPM

Post by boik »

Happy New Year eveyone.

I've been using Ardour with audio tracks up to now and happy using it.

Now I want to add Midi tracks. I've used the rhythm generator on my Juno DS to laid down a basic timing track. It was recorded as a midi track. The Juno DS was playing at 206BPM, but if I set Ardour to 206 BPM, the bar and beat markers don't correspond. If I line them up at the start, they are quickly unaligned, even though I am pretty Ardour is playing it back at the correct BPM.

If I change the BPM within Ardour, the playing slows to the new value, but the Midi note markers within Ardour are still in the same place relative to the bar/beat markers.

I need to align the ardour bar/beat markers to the midi notes so that I can use the bar/beat marker to align the audio clips visually.

I'm obviously not understanding something, and apologies if I haven't explained it very well.

Hopefully a quick clarification from someone, and I can start mixing audio and midi and visually align them.

Cheers.
Jaaxx
Established Member

Re: Ardour recording midi and changing BPM

Post by Jaaxx »

I'm sure someone with experience will come along with a proper answer. If it wasn't midi data I would suspect a sample rate mismatch, however you might try creating an Ardour project with a different sample rate and try it anyway.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Unfa's videos are awesome!

I was going to suggest also looking at "Meter" ruler. I have some recordings with a 6/8 meter, in which music sheet reads: "dotted quarter note: 80". Depending on how you look at it that seems to be the beat, but then I had to do some calculations to set a bpm of 120 for a correct visualization of bars and beats.
boik
Established Member

Post by boik »

Ah, that "lock to music" setting looks interesting. I will have a play when I start another project.

In the end, I set the BPM in ardour before recording the midi and audio data. And things all lined up visually, which is what I needed. I can now align audio clips to the bar/beat grid and know it will line up with the Midi track.

So much to learn!

Thanks for your help and suggestions.