Breaking changes in Hydrogen 1.x?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Breaking changes in Hydrogen 1.x?

Post by Rainmak3r »

Hi all,

I've been using Hydrogen + Ardour + DrumGizmo for a while, and I like how easy the workflow is. I use the Muldjord Kit in DrumGizmo, and found a Hydrogen drumkit plus an Ardour template for it: this means I can easily write patterns in Hydrogen, connect the MIDI outout of Hydrogen to the DrumGizmo track in Ardour, and it will play there while I write things. This also makes it easy to record things as MIDI in Ardour, and detach Hydrogen when I'm done to leave DrumGizmo to play it there.

That said, this worked nicely in Hydrogen 0.9.7, but is apparently broken in Hydrogen 1.0.1: hitting things in Hydrogen would basically cause the completely wrong sound to be played by DrumGizmo in Ardour, or no sound at all, which made me think of some MIDI mapping error somewhere. Initially I wasn't sure what was the cause, as I recently upgraded to Fedora 33, which included an update to most packages: so, when I tried my workflow and it didn't work, I first thought it might be an issue with Ardour 6, or maybe an update in DrumGizmo. Anyway, doing selective downgrades I found the issue to be in Hydrogen 1.0.1, which I had installed through the ycollet/linuxmao repo: using Hydrogen 0.9.7 everything worked fine again.

Is there any change you are aware of in the new major version of Hydrogen that may cause this breaking behaviour? Before bothering the guys on their GitHub repo, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious (the Changelog is a bit vague and short on details).

Thanks!