DAW or recording software with timing analysis

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

pixel_pirate

DAW or recording software with timing analysis

Post by pixel_pirate »

I'm not sure if this really exists or is possible ;) but I'm looking for a piece of software which does timing analysis i.e. does a simple guitar piece (playing single notes in time to a click track) actually match the click track. I've read that logic pro will do this, highlighting parts that are ahead/behind the beat but I've not been able to find any evidence that it does (and I have no interest in running non-linux software). Note that I don't want to fix the timing, I just want an easy way to highlight issues.

The main reason behind this is that I want to fix my timing, everyone says practice to a metronome, that's fine and I do but I find it difficult to objectively quantify that I'm actually in time with the metronome. I even find that recording myself to a click track and then playing it back I can think "that's all good" but someone else will listen to it and say that I'm out of time in parts. I'm currently using audacity and will record myself to a click track and will then painstakingly look through the audio and try to match the guitar with the click track, so if someone can suggest just a bit of recording software with a nice timing grid so that I can easily spot issues at a glance then it would greatly speed up my workflow.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions :)