Hydrogen and Ardour going out on sync

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

CraigPid
Established Member

Hydrogen and Ardour going out on sync

Post by CraigPid »

I have Ardour and Hydrogen synced using jack transport and I'm playing back the project while creating and editing drum patterns. If I move the playhead back a couple bars, it goes out of sync and I have to start playback from the beginning of the song. I don't believe that I have encountered this before. I have a theory that when I tapped out the tempo it came out to 77.507 bpm and I left it at that. Perhaps I should have set it at 78.
studio32

Re: Hydrogen and Ardour going out on sync

Post by studio32 »

That's broken since I can remember.

There is also a design issue with routing iirc. stereo instead of mono?
See: https://discourse.ardour.org/t/hydrogen ... i/104965/5

Frankly, I would look into a other piece of software. Using a plugin that can load hydrogen files. Something with SFZ maybe.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

studio32 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:29 am That's broken since I can remember.

There is also a design issue with routing iirc. stereo instead of mono?
See: https://discourse.ardour.org/t/hydrogen ... i/104965/5

Frankly, I would look into a other piece of software. Using a plugin that can load hydrogen files. Something with SFZ maybe.
There is drmr, a LV2-plugin.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi Craig!

In my experience DrMr is pree buggy (in Ardour anyway)..

Do you have Ardour set as the JACK time master or Hydrogen?... One way or the other works better maybe if Hydrogen is the master, sorry it's been a while. You can set/unset this in Ardour-->Session-->Properties

If you decide to go the load a Hydrogen Kit on an Ardour MIDI track route I believe the LSP-Plugins Multisampler (version 1.1.24 or higher) will load Hydrogen drumkits and allow you to route them to multiple outputs (similar to AVL-Drumkits LV2 or Drumgizmo)
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

I guess I'm really used to working in Hydrogen and it wouldn't hurt to learn some different ways of programming drums.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Why depending on Hydrogen?
Why not using some of its samples or even your own drum samples and creating a .sf2 file to use with a fluid synth plugin?

Until I was pointed to this option I was used to use Hydrogen also. Though, thanks to some forum members who pointed me to Polyphone, a .sf2 sound file creation program, I'm using .sf2 files only for my drums via fluid synth plugin.

Hydrogen is now used only for playing the MIDI metronome controlled by the Sequencer program.
If I could find another metronome program being able to be controlled by the Sequencer program, I would drop Hydrogen completely.
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

The reason that I use Hydrogen is that I like I feel comfortable working in it's grid. I normally use Jack Transport to play Hydrogen from Ardour. When I finish editing I export the audio and import into Ardour. If I were to play samples in a plugin, what is the workflow? I am not so skilled at playing drums on a keyboard and entering the notes on Ardour's piano roll seems to cause a lot of crashes. Another option I've looked into is using something like Seq64 to trigger loops. As far as I can see, there is not an lv2 plugin of Seq64 so that would be external to Ardour which is do-able but maybe not ideal. Does anyone know of a step sequencer plugin that I could use to trigger AVL Drums lv2.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

I personally never experienced this out of sync issue, and I use Hydrogen and Ardour together quite often, as my drums are usually Hydrogen to write the patterns, and Ardour to record/play the MIDI output by Hydrogen via DrumGizmo. I have Ardour as the Jack master and Hydrogen as the controlled part, if it helps.
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

I have never experienced this issue myself either prior to this project. I suspect because I tapped out the tempo and left it at 77.507 bpm. I've opened older Ardour projects that I have a Hydrogen file for and I haven't been able to reproduce that issue.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

CraigPid wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:19 pm I have never experienced this issue myself either prior to this project. I suspect because I tapped out the tempo and left it at 77.507 bpm. I've opened older Ardour projects that I have a Hydrogen file for and I haven't been able to reproduce that issue.
Yes, it does seem to suggest a precision/rounding error in either of the two tools that causes the desync you experienced.