A good LADSPA delay?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Louigi Verona
Established Member

A good LADSPA delay?

Post by Louigi Verona »

Hey guys!
I have installed all the LADSPA plugins I could find in the Ubuntu repository. However, out of all of those I could hardly find a delay plugin that would work normally. There are several plugins that are very simplistic and don't even offer a feedback parameter which means they play only one delay line, not more. One plugin there is very complex with some randomized delay options (smth I do not need at the moment) and anyway I couldn't make it work at all - no matter what knobs I tweak the sound doesn't change and no echo is introduced.
So I wanted to ask for advice - what good LADSPA plugin can you recommend for a delay? I am using LMMS, if that might be important.
brummer

Re: A good LADSPA delay?

Post by brummer »

try delayorama by Steve Haris, set the dry/wet slider to the middle position to get the mix between delay and original input.
roaldz
Established Member

Post by roaldz »

I always use the TAP Stereo Echo. It provides separate delay times for left and right, feedback, level, and some options like cross mode and haas effect.. Really simple but wonderful plugin!

Roald
Louigi Verona
Established Member

Post by Louigi Verona »

Yeah, I've been trying them but did not get the results I wanted. However, because you are advising me, I will work some more with them and try to get the sound I need.

Please tell me how do you calculate the delay time. Do you use a formula (just in case, I know the formula, no need to bring it up) or is there any other method you use?
Louigi Verona
Established Member

Post by Louigi Verona »

Eventually I could make the delayorama work - the problem was that I tried using it inside the instrument window. Looks like this part of functionality is buggy - some plugins seem to not work properly in the instrument effect rack. When I put delayorama into mixer effects rack, I got the normal result.
Louigi Verona
Established Member

Post by Louigi Verona »

However, later I tried in another track and delayorama brought no change into the sound again. No matter what knobs I tweak - nothing changes, although as soon as I fire up delayorama, the panning of the instrument goes slightly to one side. When I deactivate the plugin, the panning restores to normal. But again - the most important thing is that it gives me no delay at all. (((((
Louigi Verona
Established Member

Post by Louigi Verona »

Uh!
Eventually I did get the result I wanted, although it took quite some time. In LMMS the "link channels" option doesn't seem to do anything.
zettberlin
Established Member

Post by zettberlin »

1.) simple, light but with feedback:

feedback delay (filed under "uncathegorized")

2.) vintage-delay with feedback, tape/linear mode and with a nice convenient BPM-parameter:

calf vintage delay

You really should install and try the CALF and the invada plugin-collections - they are top notch in Linux.

Unfortunately LMMS does not support LV2-plugins yet - hope this will improve over time. The LV2-versions of the abovementioned plugins offer more functionality and have nice own GUIs....
But they are available as LADSPA also and work more or less the same as LADSPAs.
nostrum fungitur
brummer

Post by brummer »

I could second the recommendation for the Calf plugins, only you need to compile them by yourself.

To LMMS I can't say anything, without jack support it is useless for me :cry:
Last time I try it was some years ago.
Louigi Verona
Established Member

Post by Louigi Verona »

I tried CALF plugins guys - they are very nice and the delay is superb! However, it seems a bit buggy when I try to apply it to a sample with a specific volume envelope. I still didn't understand what's going on there, but in most cases it works just fine! Thanks for all the advice!