Midi Drum Patterns

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sunrat
Established Member

Re: Midi Drum Patterns

Post by sunrat »

Confirmed there's not 800,000 midi files, they lied! Only a mere 763,862. Took a very long time to extract too.

Code: Select all

/mnt/stash/audio/sounds/800000_Drum_Percussion_MIDI_Archive[6_19_15]/800000_Drum_Percussion_MIDI_Archive[6_19_15]$ ls -R | egrep -c .mid
I have no idea what I'm going to do with them. Certainly won't be auditioning each one!
uns4ph3
Established Member

Post by uns4ph3 »

Yeah i got somewhere around 600, downloaded from the same link even. Is that a site you need to sign up for before doing downloads? Anyone up for sharing their version?
Search for Fusterclucker on your favorite streaming platforms to hear my awful music, and go visit my blog for my inane rants.
sjaehn
Established Member

Post by sjaehn »

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

uns4ph3 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:13 pm Yeah i got somewhere around 600, downloaded from the same link even. Is that a site you need to sign up for before doing downloads? Anyone up for sharing their version?
I just got it from the link you posted which linked to the file on mega.nz. It did take a very long time to download being 890MiB. Maybe you got an incomplete download?
uns4ph3
Established Member

Post by uns4ph3 »

Holy shitballs, I downloaded it again on my Linux desktop (previously I'd downloaded it on my Windoze desktop and then transferred it over) and WOW. That's a LOT of midi files. My brain kinda exploded a bit now that I see the true enormity of what I've found.

EDIT: All the midi files for Superior Drummer 2 are in there - all 425,000 of them. Those are NOT free to use, if I'm not mistaken?
Search for Fusterclucker on your favorite streaming platforms to hear my awful music, and go visit my blog for my inane rants.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

uns4ph3 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:18 am EDIT: All the midi files for Superior Drummer 2 are in there - all 425,000 of them. Those are NOT free to use, if I'm not mistaken?
I suppose you are free to use them, but distributing them is not legal. And I suppose same goes to some other stuff there. Basicly, pirated stuff.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

sjaehn
Established Member

Post by sjaehn »

tavasti wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:19 pm
uns4ph3 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:18 am EDIT: All the midi files for Superior Drummer 2 are in there - all 425,000 of them. Those are NOT free to use, if I'm not mistaken?
I suppose you are free to use them, but distributing them is not legal. And I suppose same goes to some other stuff there. Basicly, pirated stuff.
It' a good question what's copyrightable. I asked this just before here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=21826

And a database that hosts all possible combinations of drum patterns (425k drum patterns points in this direction but is still far away from the end point) would ridiculate the question about copyrightability. IMHO
uns4ph3
Established Member

Post by uns4ph3 »

Based on my understanding the person who dug this up did not think this through at all.

The SD2 drum patterns include this played by specific artists - Carter Beauford is in there. That kind of pattern is easily tractable and could get you in serious trouble. So in general, i think it's wise to just toss the SD2 patterns if you download that and keep yourself safe from legal trouble.

What other distinctive drum patterns outside of the SD2 folder should we be wary of using?
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

mega.nz is a popular place to share pirated content like movies and music so it's no surprise if this file contains copyrighted material.
TygerTung
Established Member

Post by TygerTung »

sjaehn wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:24 pm Some nice drum patterns: https://github.com/lvm/tidal-drum-patterns

How to use these? They are not in MIDI form as far as I can see?
TygerTung
Established Member

Post by TygerTung »

According to this, you can't copyright patterns, just performances, so the midi patterns can be used.
https://lawyerdrummer.com/2018/04/can-c ... -drumbeat/
uns4ph3
Established Member

Post by uns4ph3 »

Well hot fucking damn. Glad I didn't listen to my paranoid instincts and delete all those SD2 drum patterns lawl. Thanks for that heads up @TygerTung
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

uns4ph3 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:08 pm Based on my understanding the person who dug this up did not think this through at all.

The SD2 drum patterns include this played by specific artists - Carter Beauford is in there. That kind of pattern is easily tractable and could get you in serious trouble. So in general, i think it's wise to just toss the SD2 patterns if you download that and keep yourself safe from legal trouble.
Patterns are from some commercial product which is made for producing music, and they are licensed for producing music. So it is not possible that someone would analyze music you publish and sue you because in your music there is performance which is included in that product. Maybe in theory product publisher could track you down, and check that you have valid license for that product, but I doubt they would do it. Such action would give them bad karma in producer community 'if you make your drums with SD2, you will get nasty lawyers contacting you, avoid it and use something else'

So remaining thing is that SD2 publisher can sue person who is sharing that midi pack collection. If downloading it with torrent or something else that also shares same time you can get sued also for it, but for plain download and use, no way.

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

sjaehn wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:05 pm And a database that hosts all possible combinations of drum patterns (425k drum patterns points in this direction but is still far away from the end point) would ridiculate the question about copyrightability. IMHO
Strict on beat patterns would be doable to cover all possible beats. However, for human played performance, timing is not 100% accurate. Pretty normal ticks per quarter note is 480 (PPQ, pulser per quarter). If we take simple rock beat (taken from wikipedia)
800px-Characteristic_rock_drum_pattern.png
800px-Characteristic_rock_drum_pattern.png (11.78 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
It has 12 notes. If we think timing variation can be within 1/64 note, with value of 480 midi PPQ, each hit can be in 30 different location. For that one bar there would be 531441000000000000 different possible performances. I was too lazy to check, but lets assume such midi file would be 50 bytes long. Storing all those performances (plain data, not counting file names) would take 9 petabytes disk space. And this was one beat, one bar, while human played drum patterns are much longer.

No, I don't think having database of all possible drum performances is possible.

TygerTung
Established Member

Post by TygerTung »

We are concerned with patterns here. Why sample performances these days when it is so easy to synthesise drum sounds or make your own samples, or use some PD samples. Synthesisers with drums on them are so common these days, one is almost tripping over them.

It does make sense that one cannot copyright patterns though, as there are not that many, unless one wants to use really weird patterns. Most songs probably use a variation on a few basic patterns.