VST hosts - most compatible ?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bsab76

VST hosts - most compatible ?

Post by bsab76 »

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Linux, and I'm trying to learn both the OS (Ubuntu 9.04 in my case) and also the music software.

I have so far played around with Psycle through Wine, which I am accustomed with from windows previously, and also LMMS which I am slightly familiar with (again from windows). I have also installed Ardour and Rosegarden, but I haven't really looked into them much yet to be honest.

My problem is, Psycle and LMMS don't fully support some of the VSTs I usually use. Either crashing, or not working as intended.

I have noticed that LMMS requires Wine for VST support as well. And Psycle runs on Wine itself. So I was wondering - is Wine the only way to load windows VSTs in Linux? If not, what other possibilities are there?

And extending on that - from your experience, which program would you recommend as the most versatile windows VST host in Linux? Meaning supporting the widest spectrum of plugins with minimum crashes or unexpected behaviour?

Thanks in advance for your help..
=)
Capoeira
Established Member

Re: VST hosts - most compatible ?

Post by Capoeira »

all the solutions for vst on linux use wine because wine is the way to run win-dose programs on linux

are you using wineasio?

i run fine with wineasio and vsthost under wine.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Please check our WIKI! If there are still questions, they are welcome
spm_gl
Established Member

Post by spm_gl »

I currently use FST, and it's going well. No long-term experience though. I run it on a seperate machine, couldn't get it to compile on my lenny system, and if it does crash, I only lose an insert in ardour.
--- Spreemusik ---
Jan Fuchsmann, Audio Engineer
Check our blog at http://www.spreemusik.com/blog