Anyone else having Ardour 6 segfaults?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

User avatar
SpotlightKid
Established Member
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: Anyone else having Ardour 6 segfaults?

Post by SpotlightKid »

sysrqer wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:33 pm
Renoise and Reaper are incredibly stable so I don't believe the stuff about libs that the daw is compiled against
That's a wrong logical conclusion, because Renoise and Reaper are doing exactly the same, i.e. they are compiled against certain (versions of) libraries. Only difference is, with them you have no other option.

lykwydchykyn
Established Member
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 2:01 pm
Location: Tennessee, USA
Contact:

Re: Anyone else having Ardour 6 segfaults?

Post by lykwydchykyn »

sysrqer wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:33 pm
lykwydchykyn wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:25 pm
When you say "paid version", do you just mean harrison mixbus, or is there specifically a paid version of Ardour?

I didn't see any reference to a paid version on the site. I don't object to paying for it, or it being proprietary per se, but I don't like having to manage software licenses and manually update things.
They mean the paid version. It is not proprietary, they build ardour against certain library files and sell it as a package, supposedly it works better than version compiled version provided by your package manager.

I gave up with ardour because of the crashes I got from it, even without any calf plugins (often sighted a as a cause), I lost many hours of work and I don't see that as acceptable. Renoise and Reaper are incredibly stable so I don't believe the stuff about libs that the daw is compiled against, as a user if my daw crashes and loses my work then it's not worth anything.

I would love for ardour to be stable but from my experience it is not and it's sad to hear that apparently it is still not.
Ah OK, I never followed the download links far enough to where you get to the payment part. Now I see. I can see how a statically-compiled version might be less prone to problems, it just depends on how dedicated the package maintainer of a distro is to fixing issues with different library versions.

I'll put that in my thinker and let it ferment a while. I have crashes but I haven't really lost much work. FWIW, I don't recall 5.x ever crashing on me, even while recording my big 17-minute prog piece (It did other wierdness, but not crashing). So maybe a few minor releases will take care of the crashes. If I cared enough, I could downgrade.

User avatar
lilith
Established Member
Posts: 1434
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 11:41 pm
Location: bLACK fOREST
Contact:

Re: Anyone else having Ardour 6 segfaults?

Post by lilith »

:?:
sysrqer wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:33 pm
lykwydchykyn wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:25 pm
When you say "paid version", do you just mean harrison mixbus, or is there specifically a paid version of Ardour?

I didn't see any reference to a paid version on the site. I don't object to paying for it, or it being proprietary per se, but I don't like having to manage software licenses and manually update things.
They mean the paid version. It is not proprietary, they build ardour against certain library files and sell it as a package, supposedly it works better than version compiled version provided by your package manager.

I gave up with ardour because of the crashes I got from it, even without any calf plugins (often sighted a as a cause), I lost many hours of work and I don't see that as acceptable. Renoise and Reaper are incredibly stable so I don't believe the stuff about libs that the daw is compiled against, as a user if my daw crashes and loses my work then it's not worth anything.

I would love for ardour to be stable but from my experience it is not and it's sad to hear that apparently it is still not.
This is exactly my experience. I'm using Bitwig since some months and never had one single crash. Same with Renoise.

Post Reply