LMMS MIDI control of external synthesizers

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bobby.calamari
Established Member

LMMS MIDI control of external synthesizers

Post by bobby.calamari »

Hi all

I'm currently trying out different MIDI sequencers and DAWs to find out which is the best fit for my need for a good MIDI sequencer to control my hardware synthesizers.

I've started using LMMS and I like the interface and am generally getting a good vibe from it. However, I'm a bit confused about how to send MIDI out.

I can see that I can fire up an instance of (for example) Triple Oscillator and set it to send MIDI out, and control a synth that way. But then I get sound from both Triple Oscillator and the hardware synth. I guess I could turn the volume down on Triple Oscillator, but this setup seems really weird.

Is there a way I can send MIDI out from LMMS without going via one of the built-in soft synths?
Basslint
Established Member

Re: LMMS MIDI control of external synthesizers

Post by Basslint »

Hello Bobby,

LMMS is not suited for that task, because it has no concept of separate audio and MIDI tracks. If you use a sequencer like sequencer64 you will have better success, otherwise you can just create a MIDI track in Ardour, Qtractor or MusE and route that to your hardware synths.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
bobby.calamari
Established Member

Re: LMMS MIDI control of external synthesizers

Post by bobby.calamari »

Excellent - much appreciated, thank you.