JACK / piano setting

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sue
Established Member

JACK / piano setting

Post by sue »

Hi,
I have a digital Yamaha P-95 and a USB/midi cable but so far I haven't had enough luck to set things up right to capture the keys that I'm playing.
I know the cable is OK (once a small app worked but its purpose was different).

I've learned here, that I need Jack to make it work, however, my trial and error approach hasn't worked out yet.

Would there be anyone willing (and patient) to help a complete llama? :-)

I'd like to use my notebook with an older OpenSuse and I also have an ADA-X5 USB audio adapter in my possession.

And to answer the question 'what program are you using?' - Haven't had a chance to try them really out :-D, anything available and not too complicated. (I need to see what I played - preferably on a keyboard, and getting a note transcription would be a nice bonus.)
I play in the evenings some bits and pieces and it's too inconvenient to note it down and then I don't remember it the following day :(
varpa
Established Member

Re: JACK / piano setting

Post by varpa »

One easy way to record midi from a keyboard is to use the program Pianoteq. However, this is a commercial program, and costs money. Pianoteq in addition to making piano sounds, records the midi of everything you play. You can also load a midi file and play with back and there is a keyboard display to to show notes being played. It will work with or without Jack. However it does not do transcription. I use Pianoteq in the way you describe, to save musical ideas. To do transcription you might be able to take a midi file and read it into Musescore. Never, tried however.

To learn more about Jack see: https://www.libremusicproduction.com/ar ... -jack.html. You could also use Ardour to record midi, see https://www.libremusicproduction.com/tu ... our-3.html, however there is a big learning curve to use something like Ardour. Ardour does not require Jack either. Both Ardour and Pianoteq can connect to your midi and soundcard directly and do not require Jack. Using Jack allows you to interconnect different programs.
Harry_Krishnerd
Established Member

Post by Harry_Krishnerd »

You might want to take a look at Rosegarden. https://rosegardenmusic.com/
It is quick and simple to set up/use and doesn't require jack to run.
sue
Established Member

Post by sue »

thank you varpa, I've tried once Ardour without luck so I'll try it again with fresh eyes later.

Harry_Krishnerd: thank you, I've surprisingly managed to record the piano :-) it was at night so I hope I'll be skilled enough to do it again :lol:

I've read the entire section on Notation and haven't found how to make it note down the right and left hand separately (at least roughly). I guess it's not possible, then?
Although I noticed something about exporting the notation and jazzing it up with another program, so I'll try it out in MuseScore. :) (it should also be able record midi but I haven't had enough luck to make it work).

I've also found MusE, so I'll see if I make it run :-)