Lets resurrect ReZound

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Nofriendo

Lets resurrect ReZound

Post by Nofriendo »

I am posting this about an application that was very useful and many have probably not even heard about because it was abandoned in 2011.
ReZound was great for taking long sound files, such as and experimental jam session, etc. and editing and exporting the musically useful parts.
What made ReZound so useful for samples and loops is that the loop would play continuously whilst you edited it by holding control and adjusting the start of the loop with the left mouse button and the end of the loop with the right mouse button. Not only did this sound quite cool and was a behavior that could be played as an instrument, it was very time saving for manual editing, and finding loops and such you had not anticipated.
It is unclear why ReZound was abandoned, possibly it was just because it was unpopular.
ReZound was open source and that source is still available, there has not been a release since 2007.
If you or someone you know is a developer lets resurrect ReZound, or if no one cares lets find or create an application that can do what Rezound could do.
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Lets resurrect ReZound

Post by Basslint »

Hello,

I heard about ReZound, even though I never used it. I am no Audacity expert but does anybody know if Audacity (or any other DAW) can replicate that functionality (maybe with different controls)?

I gave the quickest look to the source code and it uses the FOX toolkit. It's solid AFAIK but sadly it's not very popular anymore and aside from the time investment required to learn it, it has vintage Windows-style looks and that alone could discourage people from using ReZound.

I think that your best bet is to:
1) Contact the original author
2) If you receive no response, fork the project yourself
3) Ask for help on their official mailing list
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Nofriendo wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:42 am I am posting this about an application that was very useful and many have probably not even heard about because it was abandoned in 2011.
Looks like their version control still has some activity as recent as 2017 (https://sourceforge.net/p/rezound/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/) - but you're right things seem to have quieted down.
Nofriendo wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:42 am ReZound was great for taking long sound files, such as and experimental jam session, etc. and editing and exporting the musically useful parts.
What made ReZound so useful for samples and loops is that the loop would play continuously whilst you edited it by holding control and adjusting the start of the loop with the left mouse button and the end of the loop with the right mouse button. Not only did this sound quite cool and was a behavior that could be played as an instrument, it was very time saving for manual editing, and finding loops and such you had not anticipated.
It is unclear why ReZound was abandoned, possibly it was just because it was unpopular.
ReZound was open source and that source is still available, there has not been a release since 2007.
Sounds interesting!
Nofriendo wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:42 am If you or someone you know is a developer lets resurrect ReZound, or if no one cares lets find or create an application that can do what Rezound could do.
I'm not currently planning to do any 'real' development, but it'd be nice to have ReZound in a state that it can be used, so people can evaluate it (and perhaps take that as a starting point for further development).

I tried cloning their svn (svn checkout https://svn.code.sf.net/p/rezound/code/trunk rezound-code), but unfortunately it wouldn't build. Let's see if we can collaborate on getting it to build again. I think a decentralized version control is a good basis for collaboration, so I've svn2git'ed the repo to https://github.com/raboof/rezound.

I fixed some compilation issues and now it seems to build.

I used the following dependencies (on NixOS):

Code: Select all

{ pkgs ? import <nixpkgs> {} }:

pkgs.mkShell {
  buildInputs = [
    # to check out the project
    pkgs.subversion

# to ./bootstrap
    pkgs.autoconf
    pkgs.automake
    pkgs.gettext
    pkgs.libtool
    pkgs.pkgconfig

# to ./configure
    pkgs.flex
    pkgs.bison
    pkgs.libogg
    pkgs.libvorbis
    pkgs.flac
    pkgs.fftw
    pkgs.soundtouch
    pkgs.fox_1_6

# to ld
    pkgs.xorg.libX11
    pkgs.xorg.libXcursor
    pkgs.xorg.libXext
    pkgs.xorg.libXfixes
    pkgs.xorg.libXft
    pkgs.xorg.libXrender
    pkgs.xorg.libXrandr
    pkgs.freetype
    pkgs.fontconfig
    pkgs.lbzip2
    pkgs.libGL
    pkgs.libGLU
    pkgs.libjpeg
    pkgs.libpng
    pkgs.libtiff
    pkgs.zlib
  ];
}
Unfortunately it doesn't quite seem to work:
* the 'open' and 'save as...' dialogs remain blank for me
* 'open' and then 'save' gave me 'Insufficient logical address space to insert 25 elements into pool (poolId: 0 name: 'Format Info' byte size: 0 byte alignment: 1)

I'll report those upstream. Does it work for you?
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Wait, looks like development has continued in https://github.com/ddurham2/rezound - that works for me with only a small patch: https://github.com/ddurham2/rezound/pull/1/files

For reference, these are the dependencies I needed on NixOS:

Code: Select all

{ pkgs ? import <nixpkgs> {} }:

pkgs.mkShell {
  buildInputs = [
    pkgs.cmake
    pkgs.pkgconfig
    pkgs.bison
    pkgs.flex
    pkgs.libogg
    pkgs.libvorbis
    pkgs.flac
    pkgs.fftw
    pkgs.soundtouch
    pkgs.fox_1_6
    pkgs.lame
    pkgs.audiofile
    pkgs.gettext
    pkgs.cdrdao

# to ld
    pkgs.xorg.libX11
    pkgs.xorg.libXcursor
    pkgs.xorg.libXext
    pkgs.xorg.libXfixes
    pkgs.xorg.libXft
    pkgs.xorg.libXrender
    pkgs.xorg.libXrandr
    pkgs.freetype
    pkgs.fontconfig
    pkgs.lbzip2
    pkgs.libGL
    pkgs.libGLU
    pkgs.libjpeg
    pkgs.libpng
    pkgs.libtiff
    pkgs.zlib
  ];
}
studio32

Post by studio32 »

something
Last edited by studio32 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoosC
Established Member

Post by DoosC »

That would be soooo great :) I loved ReZound too :D
| DoosC |