LV2 on HYDROGEN

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tuzzo
Established Member

LV2 on HYDROGEN

Post by tuzzo »

Hello!
What's the best way to use effects on Hydrogen Drum Machine?
It only uses LADSPA plugins and i would like to use LV2.
Also, using the program mixer, many LADSPA plugins don't seem to work (ex. C* Eq10).
Thank you!
GMaq
Established Member

Re: LV2 on HYDROGEN

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

To be honest there is no good way to use effects on Hydrogen Drum machine... The effects are kind of an afterthought and limited to ancient LADSPA's many of which have nothing to do with drums and many of which are buggy and not very intuitive to use. I agree wholeheartedly that LV2 support is years overdue and I requested it on their former forum years ago. That's the bad part... The good part is that for creating patterns and songs Hydrogen is still one of the best drum programming methods in Linuxdom and it is phenomenal at that!

So what to do??

The prevailing wisdom is to use Hydrogen for creating your beats and structuring your song and then export your work either in stereo or use the option to export to multiple tracks and do your effects processing downstream in Ardour, Qtractor or whatever DAW you use.. If you are experienced with Linux Audio and using the JACK Audio server you can also lock the transport of Hydrogen and your jack-aware DAW together and record from Hydrogen into the DAW in real time either in stereo or manually connect each drum track to individual tracks in the DAW.. It works but the multiple tracks at a time is a real kludgefest to set up. For some reason each individual drum piece appears as a stereo track which has never made any sense at all to me.. kit pieces should always be monaural and panned in the stereo image in the final mix...but I digress
studio32

Post by studio32 »

something
Last edited by studio32 on Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

Use Patroneo ( https://www.laborejo.org ) as Sequencer and DrMr LV2 to load hydrogen drumkits into any lv2 host of your choice, such as carla. (or carla-single, to keep it simple)
tuzzo
Established Member

Post by tuzzo »

Thanks for your answers.
My need is to work on the effects at the same time as producing the beats. So exporting the tracks and then mixing in Ardour won't help.
At the moment, as you suggested, i use CARLA to route Hydrogen instruments to the LV2 plugins. But honestly i don't like this workflow.
I'm trying Non Mixer right now and it seems almost the same.
I don't like that i have to plug every instrument to the mixer, and then each mixer out to the system playback.
But anyway, if there is anything else other than changing sequencer...i think i will stick with this workflow until they add the LV2 compatibility.